What are your predictions for 2019 US Open? Who are your Top 4 semifinalists?

After a sensational Wimbledon Finals between Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, the tennis world is looking forward to the last Grand Slam of this year - the 2019 US Open that begins on August 26th and concludes on September 8th. The Qualifying rounds begin today.

In the recently concluded 2019 Wimbledon Championships, Djokovic lifted the Wimbledon title for the 5th time while Women’s Singles saw Simona Halep defeat Serena Williams in the final to win her maiden Wimbledon title.

Who are the top 4 you think who will reach the 2019 US Open Men’s Singles?

Will it be Defending Champion Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Dominic Thiem, Stefanos Tsitsipas, or a surprise upsetter? Or could it be Nick Kyrgios if he rises above his antics?! :smile:

In Women’s singles, who are your favorites to make to the top 4?

Will it be Defending Champion Naomi Osaka, Grand Slam Queen Serena Williams trying to reclaim US Open since her last win in 2014, Simona Halep, rising Australian star Ashleigh Barty, teen US star player Sloane Stephens or Canada’s teen star Bianca Andreescu?

10 Likes

Novak Djokovic will look to win his fifth Grand Slam title in last six tries, the only one missing out is the French Open Title that Nadal grabbed. Also, after a shock Semi-final loss by Daniil Medvedev in the 2019 Cincinnati Open Djokovic will look to return strong. We have seen in the past how Djokovic loves the centre stage and also conditions like this where he bounces back strong after a loss. So my prediction is Djokovic will end the season with another title.

Nadal will be my second choice followed by Federer who I think will crash out in the semis or quarters.

2017 Finalist Jual Del Potro would be my 4th choice for the title.

6 Likes

In Women’s singles:

1. Naomi Osaka
  2. Simona Halep
  3. Serena Williams
  4. Ashleigh Barty

In Men’s Singles:

1. Novak Djokovic
  2. Dominic Thiem
  3. Roger Federer
  4. Stefanos Tsitsipas
5 Likes

Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal.

4 Likes

After being an overnight global star in 2018 US Open, Naomi Osaka returns to 2019 US Open to defend her title. This year has seen few disappointments for Osaka where she has faced a few early exits both in French Open and Wimbledon. She has managed to regain her World No. 1 ranking from Ashleigh Barty but it will be interesting to see if she can repeat her big breakthrough and lift the US Open title yet again.

I also find Simona Halep equally determined to continue her winning streak from Wimbledon. Serena Williams cannot be counted out. Although I feel Naomi will try her best but I see Ashleigh Barty and Bianca Andreescu make the cut for the other two semi-finalists.

So, my prediction for Women’s singles semi-finals would be : Serena Williams, Simona Halep, Ashleigh Barty and Bianca Andreescu .

5 Likes

I can bet there won’t be why of the williams sister in the final

2 Likes

Venus Williams is no longer a contestant past Round 16. Serena Williams still has the grip on Grand Slam titles and will give her best to hold the US Open trophy again.

3 Likes

In Men’s Djoker starts as undisputed favorite. With two veterans in Rafa & Federer following. Medvedev, Thiem & Tsitsipas the under dogs.

In Women’s Serena Is the clear Favorite. Halep & Osaka to give tough fight. Also don’t count out Bianca Andreescu, Karolina Pliskova & Madison Keys to pull an upset.

4 Likes

In men’s tennis, it’s difficult to go past the trio maestros - Djokovic, Nadal and Federer in early rounds. Dominic Thiem, Medvedev, John Isner and del Potro will try to fill the 4th spot.

In women’s singles, Serena Williams is in pursuit of her 24th Grand Slam win to match the all-time record set by Margaret Court. She will be the favourite among the crowds.
No.1 seeded Naomi Osaka would be determined to defend her US Open title especially after the dramatic win last year.
Wimbledon Winner Simona Halep who is in her best form will be in the race to secure her second consecutive Grand Slam win.
Australian Ashleigh Barty, French Open champion, is seeded 2nd but could face Serena Williams in the quarter-finals. And most likely Serena will advance in this match.
Fourth spot is up for grabs by Czech third seed Karolina Pliskova who will be seeking her first Slam title, Madison Keys and Bianca Andreescu.

7 Likes

Thiem & Tsitsipas crash out in first round! :frowning_face:

So, are we going to see one of the trio lifting the trophy?!

4 Likes

The battle for the trophy is mostly amongst the trio but as tennis fans we want to see an underdog challenge these legends. With Thiem and Tsitsipas exiting, it will be interesting to see how Thomas Fabbiano, Stan Wawrinka, Grigor Dimitrov, Kei Nishikori and Alexander Zverev advance.

In Women’s singles, defending champion Naomi Osaka survived a scare against Anna Blinkova of Russia 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-2.
Maria Sharapova lost to straight sets in the opening round match against Serena Williams. There is something about Sharapova, maybe her fighting spirit and her determination to win a Grand Slam again, that makes me want to root her each time and hope she makes it.
It was distasteful on part of Williams’ husband Alexis Ohanian to troll Maria with D.A.R.E. shirt for her past shortcomings. Although it was a subtle troll, it reflected his bad choice. Also, Canadian tennis player Eugenie Bouchard who trolled Maria for meekly surrendering when she herself bowed out of the US Open after losing in the first round. Nobody plays Grand Slams to lose, who better to know that than a player who played Grand Slam herself.

Ashleigh Barty, Bianca Andreescu, Madison Keys, Petra Kvitová, Simona Halep will try for the semifinals spots besides Osaka and Serena Williams.

9 Likes

Wimbledon Champion Simona Halep lost to Taylor Townsend in the 2nd round of the US Open. 23-year-old American, ranked 113th, beat Simona 2-6, 6-3, 7-6(4). Biggest upset so far!

India’s Divij Sharan and and partner Hugo Nys crashed out in the first round of men’s doubles, going down in straight sets 4-6, 4-6 to Robert Carballes Baena and Federico Delbonis.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day at US Open when 15 year old American Coco Gauff will take on on defending champion Naomi Osaka in the 3rd round. Cori Coco Gauff had caught the world by surprise when she won against Venus Williams in Wimbledon this year.

8 Likes

Surprise knock outs :

• Novak Djokovic was forced to retire from Round of 16 match against Stan Wawrinka after a shoulder injury. The path is now clear for two fan favorites - Federer and Nadal with 2 other semi-finals spots open.

• Britain’s Johanna Konta knocks out 3rd seed Karolina Pliskova 6-7(1), 6-3, 7-5.

• Wang Qiang denied 2nd seeded Ashleigh Barty a bid at US Open when she stunned Barty with a straight set wins 6-2, 6-4 to reach her first Grand Slam quarterfinal.

Daniil Medvedev fined $9000 for misbehavior and taunting the crowd in the stadium. And with Nick Kyrgios’ antics, there seems to be a rising trend of bad boy incidents in otherwise quiet Grand Slams.

5 Likes

Naomi Osaka has been knocked out losing 7-5 6-4 to Switzerland’s Belinda Bencic in the last 16. Naomi not only lost her bid for consecutive US title but she will also lose her World No.1 ranking to Ashleigh Barty of Australia.

2 Likes

Nadal’s stunning point around the post against Marin Cilic before closing the round 16 match 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2. :raised_hands: Just Wow!!

6 Likes

Of the big 3, Djokovic and Federer are out. Grigor Dimitrov and Daniil Medvedev book their place in semi finals. Dimitrov stuns Federer 3-6, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 and Medvedev beats Stan Wawrinka 7-6 (8-6) 6-3 3-6 6-1.

So, looks like Monfils and Nadal will join Dimitrov and Medvedev in semifinals.

In women’s singles Serena Williams and Elina Svitolina are through to the semi finals. Belinda Bencic and Andreescu are most likely to advance to the semifinals.

5 Likes

i guess yes. nadal could be the one i feel

2 Likes

Nadal is the obvious favorite now but I would like to see a new Champion in Grigor Dimitrov. In women’s singles, I wish to see Belinda Bencic take it away.

3 Likes

Only One each of my 3 veterans & 3 underdogs in Both Men’s & Women’s in play now! :face_with_head_bandage:

Go Medvedev Go!

Go Bianca Go!

6 Likes

abhi nadal zinda hai unless you are a federer fan

3 Likes