🇮🇳 ISL 2020-21 Season- Matchday 16- Previews, Reviews, Match Results, Discussions- Mumbai City, NorthEast United FC, ATK Mohun Bagan and more

Odisha FC’s Stuart Baxter answers questions of the media after their 1-0 loss against Jamshedpur FC.

12 Likes

:speaking_head: “I’m not satisfied with my performance as we missed many chances.”

Seiminlen Doungel aims for further improvement despite helping Jamshedpur FC to a 1-0 win against Odisha FC

11 Likes

:speaking_head: “We move on and try to give our best.”

Rakesh Pradhan looks forward to Odisha FC’s upcoming matches after their narrow loss against Jamshedpur FC

12 Likes

Jamshedpur FC snapped their 5-match winless run after registering a narrow 1-0 victory against Odisha FC. After a cagey start, Owen Coyle’s men took the lead in the 41st minute when Mobashir Rahman’s cross found the back of the net. Stuart Baxter’s side pushed on in the second half, but could net the all-important equaliser. With the result, Jamshedpur FC registered their first victory of 2021.

Highlights - Odisha FC 0-1 Jamshedpur FC - Match 79

13 Likes

Post-match Presentation - Odisha FC 0-1 Jamshedpur FC - Match 79

12 Likes

‘We will get over the defeat’ - Odisha boss Stuart Baxter confident of turnaround.

The former South Africa national coach promised the Odisha fans that they would get over this defeat and come back strongly to end the season on a high.

"We haven’t played over the last seven or eight games any team that we are unable to beat. We have run every team very close and even tonight it could have been one of those honourable 1-1 draw. But we need to turn them into wins and see if that momentum will take us somewhere in the closing stage of the season.

“These lads won’t lie down, I won’t lie down. We will get over this and we will get back to work and we promise to the fans we will do as well as we can in the rest of the season.”

6 Likes

Odisha FC Manager on tonights game…

Pointing out his team’s mistakes against Jamshedpur, coach Stuart Baxter said, "I’ll blame it on poor decision making in our defending, not brave enough in our build-up play and not keeping our balance and shape. I thought once we got into the final third our movement was quite good.

“As the game went further into the 90 minutes the level of nervousness goes up so you don’t play with the same precision. That’s also something. Lack of imagination is something I would like to criticise but I won’t blame.”

Odisha’s only win of the season came against Kerala Blasters wherein they outclassed their opponents winning 4-2. In an attempt to explain his team’s form since that win, Baxter opined that luck has not been with his team.

“If you look at this game, there was this unbelievable decision of the referee to not give a penalty. We needed one of those decisions to go our way. Luck has gone against us, six or seven penalties have not been given to us. The goal that we gave away, we need to change that, we cant do that. Small things make a massive impact on our results,” Baxter opined.

12 Likes

Odisha FC Coach on Inman

Brad Inman, who recently joined Odisha on loan made his debut against Jamshedpur. Baxter suggested that Inman can become an asset for the team if he is given time to settle in.

“It is difficult for Brad (Inman). Coming in, he got very little time to prepare. If we can get him on the ball in the right areas I am sure he will be an asset. He needs to get a little bit harder to get on the ball. He needs to know what we want and we need to understand him a little bit better,” said the Odisha boss.

11 Likes

Odisha FC apologise 'unreservedly’ for Stuart Baxter ‘rape’ comment.

Indian Super League side Odisha FC are “appalled” by offensive comments made by head coach Stuart Baxter as he suggested that his players would need “to rape someone or get raped” to win a penalty.

“You need decisions to go your way and we needed a penalty. I think one of my players would have to rape someone or get raped himself if he was going to get a penalty,” Baxter said during a post-match interview.

In a brief statement on Monday, following up on Baxter’s comments, Odisha were quick to condemn the Englishman while promising to “handle the matter internally.”

“The club is appalled at the comments made by head coach Stuart Baxter during the post-match interview today,” Odisha said in a statement. “It is completely unacceptable whatever the context and does not reflect the values of the club.

"We, at Odisha FC, unreservedly apologise and the club management will handle this matter internally.”

Odisha FC owner Rohan Sharma was also quick to make his disapproval clear after Baxter’s comments went viral.

"I am absolutely disgusted and infuriated by the comments. I’ve said Odisha FC is a safe space for all, and to make light of a serious awful crime in such an offhanded way is reprehensible.

I sincerely apologize to everyone on my behalf and the clubs"

13 Likes

Match Preview: SC East Bengal Vs Bengaluru FC

SC East Bengal take on Bengaluru FC in tonight’s Hero Indian Super League (Hero ISL) 2020-21 at the Tilak Maidan Stadium in Vasco on Tuesday.

The Kolkata-based club will hope to do the double over former Hero ISL champions Bengaluru, who are winless in their last eight matches.

Robbie Fowler’s side were unable to get past a 10-man FC Goa side and played out a 1-1 draw in their previous outing. In their last four matches, SC East Bengal have managed only two goals and none of them have come from open play.

Goal-scoring has been a concern for SC East Bengal all season and their failure to find the back of the net consistently has seen them struggle to win games. Their recent run of results has seen them draw six, win two and lose one of their last nine matches.

The Blues have failed to keep a clean sheet for 11 matches in a row and have managed just two shut outs all campaign. Their defence has conceded 19 goals in 14 matches so far and have squandered nine points from winning positions.

While SC East Bengal will look to improve in the attacking third, Bengaluru will hope for a better display in their defensive third. A win will take SC East Bengal above the Blues and put them in contention for a top-four spot, something which Moosa will hope to avoid.

14 Likes

East Bengal Coach said ahead of the game

“Bengaluru are currently going through a difficult situation but we have been in that position. They are like wounded animals and wounded animals can come and put up a fight. They have brought in an interim head coach and he is doing an okay job. I don’t think we are favourites, because the table is very tight and anyone can beat anyone on a given day,” SC East Bengal head coach Robbie Fowler said ahead of the game.

13 Likes

Bengaluru Interim Head Coach Said

“We were upset to have dropped two points against Hyderabad FC. But we’re going to try and be as positive as possible. All it takes is one win and I believe we’ll be there and about in the race [for top four] again. We’re going to work as hard as possible to make that happen. SC East Bengal have been creating some good chances but are lacking in the finishing department. Bright, Maghoma and the others are doing really well, and I know it won’t be easy,” Bengaluru’s interim head coach Naushad Moosa said ahead of the game.

13 Likes

:red_circle: [ SACKED ] : Odisha FC have officially announced the parting of ways with head coach Stuart Baxter with immediate effect after the British coach used an offensive analogy of rape to show his frustration over poor referring decision.

8 Likes

Right decision by Odisha FC management!

The remark was in bad taste and uncalled for. No amount of frustration can justify this insensitive and inhumane analogy to highlight poor referring decisions.

9 Likes

Odisha FC has decided to terminate Head Coach, Stuart Baxter’s contract with immediate effect.

The interim coach for the remainder of the season will be announced soon.

8 Likes

I honestly do not understand why it took Odisha this long to fire Baxter considering their position on the log and with just 1 win all season, I think they’re better going without Baxter in charge…Taking into consideration how quickly mangers are sacked in ISL when results are bad, I expected Baxter to have been sacked a long time ago because they don’t look like a team that’ll improve under him, yesterday statement during his post match conference was just the nail needed in the coffin to seal his departure but I think its very bad to leave a club in such a disgraceful manner…All the best to him going forward and I hope he learns to pick his words carefully because football is not just a game but a lifestyle that unite the world and as an ambassador, you must always be careful of what you say because the world is watching and whatever you say will surely hunt you but I hope he gets over it…I’m happy Odisha made a swift decision to sack him because it shows their is no room for derogatory statements in our sport.

8 Likes

Well said @Yusuf! :dart:

8 Likes

Stuart Baxter for Odisha FC

8 Likes
  • Carles Cuadrat :x:
  • Gerard Nus :x:
  • Stuart Baxter :x:

Already three head coaches have been sacked this season, who do you think will be the next one? :thinking:

7 Likes

:point_down: Predicted :white_check_mark: Although didn’t expect him to depart in this disgraceful manner.

9 Likes