European Super League: A wise move or a move to Jeopardize Football?

Arsenal’s president, Stan Kroenke, doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about. He believes that when the Super League starts, fans around the world will gather together and thank the founders for this ‘wonderful idea’.

14 Likes

Florentino Pérez: “Football is the only sport in the world with more than 4 billion supporters and our responsibility within the big clubs is to meet the wishes of those fans”

9 Likes

More details on the European Super League

• All 12 founding clubs of the ESL have left the ECA.

• Florentino Perez had been working on the ESL since 2009, when he became re-elected as Real Madrid president.

• The New Santiago Bernabeu will be the “capital” of the ESL, Perez had this in mind when renovating the stadium.

• Arsenal boss Stan Kroenke was Perez’s biggest supporter of the ESL, he believes the ESL will make Arsenal “THE BIGGEST CLUB IN THE WORLD”…

• As it stands, These 12 clubs will not be a part of the UCL next season.

• The 12 clubs will get €350m each for accepting to participate, JP Morgan will fund these.

10 Likes

Gladbach sporting director Max Eberl on a European Super League:

“It is cynical & hypocritical to claim that this move is for the good of football & is what football fans want, as those behind this league are doing."

11 Likes

:joy: :rofl: Arsenal cannot become the biggest club in PL and talk about becoming biggest club in the world!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge speaks out against the plans to start a Super League.

13 Likes

Real Madrid, Man City and Chelsea are likely to be banned from the UCL semifinals, according to UEFA executive committee member Jesper Moller.

14 Likes

Leeds players in protest t-shirts before Liverpool game at Elland Road…

12 Likes

An official statement from Sevilla on the European Super League:

“The Board of Sevilla FC wish to publicly state their complete rejection of a tournament based exclusively on economic parameters and outside of UEFA”

12 Likes

@Jay @Animesh @Ishan @Goodness What’s your take on this assertion from Lalas…

12 Likes

A statement from the European Club Association.

11 Likes

Leeds’ Patrick Bamford on the current climate in football…

14 Likes

Florentino Perez says that European semifinalists and Super League participants Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal won’t be kicked out of the Champions and Europa League.

‘Impossible, I can assure that. 100 percent.’

11 Likes

Could Champions League semi-finalists Manchester City, Real Madrid and Chelsea all be kicked out of the competition? Hushed face

UEFA will hold a meeting on Tuesday.
420px-UEFA_Champions_League_logo_2.svg

7 Likes

Jurgen Klopp: "I heard today that I will resign but I feel responsible for the team, for the club and for the relationship we have with our fans.

'I will try to sort it somehow."

Jurgen Klopp: "I understand (the fans anger).

"I don’t know exactly why the 12 clubs did it.

“It’s always ‘more games, more games’. It’s about more money, nothing else.”

Jurgen Klopp: "I have no issues with the Champions League, I like the competitive factor of football.

“I like that West Ham have the chance to play Champions League football next season.”

Jurgen Klopp tonight: “My opinion didn’t change.

"We got some information, not a lot, and it’s a tough one. People are not happy with that, I can understand that.”

14 Likes

14 Premier League clubs will hold a meeting on Tuesday…

Super League participants Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham were not invited

12 Likes

:speaking_head: | “I don’t like it and I hope it doesn’t happen.”

James Milner speaks out against the proposed breakaway European Super League…

15 Likes

UEFA confirms 36-team Champions League reform with single league format replacing group stage

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has quote in an official statement which reads: "This new format supports the status and future of the domestic game throughout Europe as well. It retains the principle that domestic performance should be the key to qualification and reconfirms the principles of solidarity right through the game and of open competition.

"This evolved format will still keep alive the dream of any team in Europe to participate in the UEFA Champions League thanks to results obtained on the pitch and it will enable long-term viability, prosperity, and growth for everyone in European football, not just a tiny, self-selected cartel.

“Football is a social and cultural treasure, enriched with values, traditions and emotions shared across our continent. As the governing body and responsible stewards of the European game, it is UEFA’s role to safeguard this legacy while leading positive future development of football in Europe for national associations, leagues, clubs, players, and fans at every level. This is why we had an extensive consultation process over the last two years which led to the unanimous backing of our proposal and we are convinced that these reforms achieve those objectives.”

12 Likes

@Yusuf

I think Alexi Lalas’ views are typical ‘self-serving’ capitalist views. These minds don’t think in a holistic way and there is no room for “game’s well-being” or best interests of different stakeholders of the ecosystem. Their myopic thinking is restricted to money, greed and more money at the cost of anything and anybody.

The objection to “ESL” is not because of their capitalist (profit) motives but the way it is formed:

• The exclusivity provided to 15 founding clubs out of 20 clubs.

• This closed group league is built against the principles of “open competition” which is important to promote the game of football at grassroots level. The formation of such exclusive league will have a huge economic impact on the sustainability of smaller clubs in other leagues.

• These clubs are not abiding by the rules of existing leagues that they are part of. For example, Premier League “Rule L9,” forbids teams from playing in non-sanctioned events without permission. These clubs did not even bother to check with their existing associations.

• ESL seems to me more a display of an “entertainment show” than a football competition. :slight_smile: These cash rich clubs can afford to buy best of the best players at exorbitant values and thereby attract fans. So, if this league does materialize, it will only be a self-managed fake show with no “dark horse” stories, no “never give up” stories and no “YNWA” stories for the next generation of budding footballers at grassroots level.

11 Likes

Premier League statement on the Super League: "The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules. "

8 Likes