European Super League: A wise move or a move to Jeopardize Football?

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, and Tottenham have agreed to join a breakaway European Super League.

The new format has been put forward as a rival to the UEFA Champions League, but not as a replacement to domestic leagues.

As well as the six Premier League clubs, three La Liga teams and three Serie A clubs have agreed to join the new Super League.

What is your take on this new league formed by the biggest European clubs? Join the conversation and share your thoughts…

25 Likes

BREAKING: 12 teams announce the formation of a midweek competition, the ’Super League.’

Clubs:

:black_small_square: AC Milan
:black_small_square: Arsenal
:black_small_square: Atletico
:black_small_square: Chelsea
:black_small_square: Barcelona
:black_small_square: Inter
:black_small_square: Juventus
:black_small_square: Liverpool
:black_small_square: Manchester City
:black_small_square: Manchester United
:black_small_square: Real Madrid
:black_small_square: Tottenham

21 Likes

OFFICIAL: FIFA have released a statement regarding the new European Super League.

18 Likes

SuperLeague official statement :rotating_light:

Chairman: Florentino Perez (Real Madrid)

Vice-chairman: Andrea Agnelli (Juventus)

Vice-chairman: Joel Glazer (Man United)

Also: Andrea Agnelli is set to resign as president of ECA.

16 Likes

The Super League founding clubs “will receive an upfront net grant of approximately €3.5bn in the aggregate, such grant that will be shared among founding clubs according to %s to be defined on the basis of the final number of founding clubs.” (Juve - PL)

19 Likes

After the Super League statement, this is the UEFA position: “Every club and player participating in the Super League could be banned from all UEFA and FIFA competitions, European or International level”. :rotating_light:

17 Likes

Most recent league title of European ‘Super’ League founding clubs:

:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Arsenal: 2004
:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Chelsea: 2017
:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Liverpool: 2020
:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Man City: 2019
:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Man Utd: 2013
:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Spurs: 1961
:es: Atlético: 2014
:es: Barcelona: 2019
:es: Real Madrid: 2020
:it: Milan: 2011
:it: Inter: 2010
:it: Juventus: 2020

16 Likes

From UEFA’s earlier statement:

“The clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.”

19 Likes

Andrea Agnelli has resigned as president of the European Club Association and from the UEFA Executive Committee - Juventus have also left the ECA. (Gazzetta)

16 Likes

Full details…

19 Likes

Proposed format for Super League:

-20 participating clubs (15 Founding Clubs, five qualifying teams)

-Two groups of 10 with home and away fixtures

-Two-legged knockout format beginning with quarter-final round

-Final at neutral venue

Thoughts? :thinking:

17 Likes

Wenger in 2009: ‘Maybe in 10 years, you will have a European league…the money that will be coming in from the Champions League will not be enough for some clubs’

Wenger in 2018: ‘It is inevitable…to share money between the big clubs and the small clubs will become a problem’

15 Likes

Jurgen Klopp to Kicker in 2019:

“For me, the Champions League is the Super League, in which you do not always end up playing against the same teams… Why should we create a system where Liverpool faces Real Madrid for 10 straight years? Who wants to see that every year?”

13 Likes

I am shocked to hear this developing news! :flushed:

Too many questions coming to my mind: :thinking:

• Whose brain child is this league?
  • Who is funding this €3.5bn upfront grant??

• I thought club managers and players were complaining of too many fixtures squeezed in their calendar! How are the participating clubs now going to accommodate additional fixtures?

• Agree with FIFA’s views - This obviously seems to be a competition against the principles of “open competition”. It’s a closed competition among - “The Elite Clubs” - for monetary self-interest of few.

Well covered by Sky Sports in this video.

I agree it’s Money, Greed and I think it’s an absolutely disgraceful concept.

Good to see Bayern Munich and German Clubs as well as French Clubs staying away from this.

14 Likes

A Premier League statement added: "The Premier League is proud to run a competitive and compelling football competition that has made it the most widely watched league in the world. Our success has enabled us to make an unrivalled financial contribution to the domestic football pyramid.

"A European Super League will undermine the appeal of the whole game, and have a deeply damaging impact on the immediate and future prospects of the Premier League and its member clubs, and all those in football who rely on our funding and solidarity to prosper.

“We will work with fans, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA, as well as other stakeholders, at home and abroad, to defend the integrity and future prospects of English football in the best interests of the game.”

To add to the pressure building on the rebels, Premier League chief exec Richard Masters wrote to all 20 clubs yesterday reminding them of “Rule L9,” which forbids teams playing in non-sanctioned events without permission.

“I cannot envisage any scenario where such permission would be granted,” he wrote. “It is the duty of the Premier League Board to defend the integrity and future prospects of the League as a whole, and we will have no choice but to do everything we can to protect and maintain both.”

9 Likes

UEFA Executive Committee meeting scheduled for today in Montreux.

UEFA, FIFA, PL, Liga, Serie A on the same position: Super League has been disapproved. No UCL, no domestic leagues for the 12 clubs. :no_entry_sign:

Super League clubs insist they want to play in the domestic leagues too. :warning:

12 Likes

I think, it’s a disgrace for football!
Money has ruined football! Period :angry:

“I’m absolutely DISGUSTED!” | Gary Neville’s verdict on the European Super League proposals

Gary Neville launched a scathing attack on the six clubs that have reportedly signed up to a breakaway European Super League and suggested they should be relegated from the Premier League for agreeing to the proposals.

13 Likes

:speaking_head: “It’s a disgrace. It’s embarrassing.”

Rio Ferdinand says the European Super League “goes against everything football is about” :x:

10 Likes

OFFICIAL: LaLiga statement:

“LaLiga strongly condemns the recently published proposal for a breakaway, elitist European competition that attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart of the domestic and European football pyramid.”

8 Likes

Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans Joachim Watzke confirms that both they and Bayern Munich won’t be joining the European Super League and are sticking with the planned Champions League reform.

8 Likes