European Super League: A wise move or a move to Jeopardize Football?

Ander Herrera becomes one of the first high-profile players to speak out about the European Super League :boom:

12 Likes

“Kids grow up dreaming to win the World Cup and the Champions League… not any Super League.”

Mesut Özil’s response.

8 Likes

Serie A clubs will meet today afternoon to talk about Super League situation - Juventus, Inter and AC Milan will not attend the meeting.

Spanish clubs are planning for a meeting on Thursday to discuss about Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atléti position after joining Super League.

7 Likes

BREAKING: Thomas Tuchel, Jurgen Klopp and Mikel Arteta expected to announce their resignations today.

13 Likes

“Chelsea fans will be protesting the Super League plans in person at the stadium and pulling signs made by them from the stadium. I’ve seen Liverpool supporters are doing the same.” Nizar Kinsella

9 Likes

:speaking_head: Arsene Wenger: “I would say it’s a bad idea. Football has to stay united, it’s the most important thing.

“It’s based on sporting merit and to respect the history that has been built from European football.

“I believe, personally, that this idea will not go far." [TalkSport]

6 Likes

:speaking_head: Florentino Perez, chairman of The European Super League:

“If the players participating in the European Super League are banned from playing the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, we will create our own World Cup tournament. It is not a big deal.

7 Likes

8 Likes

:speaking_head: Mesut Ozil: "Kids grow up dreaming to win the World Cup and the Champions League - not any Super League.

“The enjoyment of big games is that they only happen once or twice a year, not every week. Really hard to understand for all football fans out there…”

10 Likes

:speaking_head: Lukas Podolski: "An insult to my belief: football is happiness, freedom, passion, fans and is for everyone.

“This project is disgusting, not fair and I’m disappointed to see clubs I represented involved. Fight against this!”

images (8)

7 Likes

Stan Kroenke has not been appointed as a vice-chairman of the Super League. Arsenal just have a place on the board, along with the other 11 clubs.

Meetings are taking place at London Colney today between Arsenal and the players. Vinai Venkatesham will be explaining the club’s position on the Super League and answering questions from the players around their concerns at the plans.

11 Likes

UEFA President Alex Ceferin:

“We are all united against this nonsense of a project … The players that will play in the closed league will be banned from playing in the World Cup and Euros.”

10 Likes

Wow! This is indeed stirring a storm in the football world!

Tuchel, Klopp, Arteta :clap: for standing up to what you believe!

Having said this, it’s unfortunate to witness this during the worst pandemic of the century!

It will be foolish to assume that getting banned from playing World Cup is not a big deal! In that case, I will not be surprised if country Football associations start objecting E Super League because most of the European countries have their star players playing in these premium clubs. If these players are banned, the countries will suffer at FIFA WC.

The ripple effect of Perez’s arrogance will be felt at various levels.

9 Likes

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin has lashed out at Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli:

:speaking_head: "I have never seen a person lie so many times and as persistently as he did. I spoke with him on Saturday afternoon and he said it is all lies.

“Greed allows all human values to evaporate.”

11 Likes

UEFA president Ceferin on #MUFC executive vice-chair Woodward: “I was a criminal layer for 24 yrs but I’ve never ever seen people like that. He called me last Thursday to say he was satisfied with reforms and he fully supports them, obviously he’d already signed something else.”

6 Likes

:speaking_head: UEFA chief Ceferin: "I cannot stress more strongly how everyone is united against this disgraceful, self-serving proposals, fuelled by greed above all else.

“We urge everyone to stand tall with us as we do everything in our power to ensure this never ends up in fruition.”

UEFA presdient Ceferin leaves the door open for clubs to return to their comps: “They are not banned from European football forever but the way they acted was wrong, even without a big IQ, people know it.”

Adds: ‘the threat of the Super League, is a strange way of negotiating.’

10 Likes

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin says the 12 clubs involved in the Super League have “spat in the face of football.”

:speaking_head: “The players that play in the Super League will be banned from playing in the World Cup and Euros.

“We will take all the sanctions that we can.”

8 Likes

Porto president Pinto da Costa confirms the Portuguese champions have rejected an invite to the Super League Flag of Portugal

:speaking_head: “We are not concerned with being or not, we are in the Champions League and we hope to continue to be for many years.”

9 Likes

The UEFA President went off :snake:

14 Likes

8 Likes