European Super League: A wise move or a move to Jeopardize Football?

Could Champions League semi-finalists Manchester City, Real Madrid and Chelsea all be kicked out of the competition? Hushed face

UEFA will hold a meeting on Tuesday.
420px-UEFA_Champions_League_logo_2.svg

7 Likes

Jurgen Klopp: "I heard today that I will resign but I feel responsible for the team, for the club and for the relationship we have with our fans.

'I will try to sort it somehow."

Jurgen Klopp: "I understand (the fans anger).

"I don’t know exactly why the 12 clubs did it.

“It’s always ‘more games, more games’. It’s about more money, nothing else.”

Jurgen Klopp: "I have no issues with the Champions League, I like the competitive factor of football.

“I like that West Ham have the chance to play Champions League football next season.”

Jurgen Klopp tonight: “My opinion didn’t change.

"We got some information, not a lot, and it’s a tough one. People are not happy with that, I can understand that.”

14 Likes

14 Premier League clubs will hold a meeting on Tuesday…

Super League participants Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham were not invited

12 Likes

:speaking_head: | “I don’t like it and I hope it doesn’t happen.”

James Milner speaks out against the proposed breakaway European Super League…

15 Likes

UEFA confirms 36-team Champions League reform with single league format replacing group stage

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has quote in an official statement which reads: "This new format supports the status and future of the domestic game throughout Europe as well. It retains the principle that domestic performance should be the key to qualification and reconfirms the principles of solidarity right through the game and of open competition.

"This evolved format will still keep alive the dream of any team in Europe to participate in the UEFA Champions League thanks to results obtained on the pitch and it will enable long-term viability, prosperity, and growth for everyone in European football, not just a tiny, self-selected cartel.

“Football is a social and cultural treasure, enriched with values, traditions and emotions shared across our continent. As the governing body and responsible stewards of the European game, it is UEFA’s role to safeguard this legacy while leading positive future development of football in Europe for national associations, leagues, clubs, players, and fans at every level. This is why we had an extensive consultation process over the last two years which led to the unanimous backing of our proposal and we are convinced that these reforms achieve those objectives.”

12 Likes

@Yusuf

I think Alexi Lalas’ views are typical ‘self-serving’ capitalist views. These minds don’t think in a holistic way and there is no room for “game’s well-being” or best interests of different stakeholders of the ecosystem. Their myopic thinking is restricted to money, greed and more money at the cost of anything and anybody.

The objection to “ESL” is not because of their capitalist (profit) motives but the way it is formed:

• The exclusivity provided to 15 founding clubs out of 20 clubs.

• This closed group league is built against the principles of “open competition” which is important to promote the game of football at grassroots level. The formation of such exclusive league will have a huge economic impact on the sustainability of smaller clubs in other leagues.

• These clubs are not abiding by the rules of existing leagues that they are part of. For example, Premier League “Rule L9,” forbids teams from playing in non-sanctioned events without permission. These clubs did not even bother to check with their existing associations.

• ESL seems to me more a display of an “entertainment show” than a football competition. :slight_smile: These cash rich clubs can afford to buy best of the best players at exorbitant values and thereby attract fans. So, if this league does materialize, it will only be a self-managed fake show with no “dark horse” stories, no “never give up” stories and no “YNWA” stories for the next generation of budding footballers at grassroots level.

11 Likes

Premier League statement on the Super League: "The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules. "

8 Likes

Marcus Rashford with a clear message.

10 Likes

OFFICIAL: Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has confirmed the club will NOT play in the Super League.

"For FC Bayern, the Champions League is the best club competition in the world.”

14 Likes

Luke Shaw speaks out.

8 Likes

Chelsea want to pull out of the Super League :flushed:

13 Likes

Man City are the next club to begin the process of pulling out of the proposed European Super League, sources confirmed to ESPN.

15 Likes

Chelsea made a last minute decision last week to join the ESL. They now regret the decision and accept it was a mistake.
They felt they had to “jump on the train because it was leaving the station”.
Turned out it was a train to nowhere.

:link: Kaveh Solhekol - Sky Sports

10 Likes

Breaking: Ed Woodward has resigned as chairman of Manchester United, sources confirmed to @MarkOgden

11 Likes

Breaking news –Juventus President Agnelli resigns after Super League fiasco

Well, that did not last long, did it? :grinning: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

16 Likes

Well said Raphael!

Indeed “Never underestimate the incompetence of people” as their preposterous arrogance will doom their thought process.

ESL Reaction

11 Likes

Liverpool players official statement shared by the captain Henderson. :red_circle:

9 Likes

OFFICIAL: Manchester City have confirmed they have formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League.

6 Likes

OFFICIAL: Manchester United have confirmed they are withdrawing from the European Super League.

“We have listened carefully to the reaction from our fans, the UK government and other key stakeholders.”

13 Likes

OFFICIAL: Liverpool have announced they are withdrawing from the Super League.

“Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.”

7 Likes