🌏 World Sports News 2022- Live Updates & General Discussion Thread

:earth_asia: World Sports News 2022 - The ultimate destination for Sports fans!

This thread is for latest sports news, updates and discussions for all sports around the world.

Share & Follow breaking news of your favorite sport and players.

32 Likes

:australia: Ash Barty beats Danielle Collins 6-3, 7-6(2) to win maiden Australian Open title :clap: :clap:

World number one Barty’s victory ended Australia’s 44-year wait for a home winner since Chris O’Neil won the women’s title in 1978.

20 Likes

Indian Grandmaster Vidit Gujrathi Holds World No. 1 Chess Player Magnus Carlsen To A Draw

World number 22 Vidit Gujrathi surprisingly held World No. 1, Magnus Carlsen, to a draw in the 11th round of the Tata Steel Masters chess tournament on Friday to keep joint hold of 4th place with 6 points.

Meanwhile, the Norwegian continues to hold the lead with 7.5 points despite missing a clear winning opportunity against Gujrathi. With two more rounds remaining in the competition, it will be interesting to see who finishes on top.

19 Likes

Australian Open: Daniil Medvedev cops $12,000 fine for umpire rant

Daniil Medvedev was fined a total of US$12,000 Saturday following his extraordinary outburst at the chair umpire during his semi-final win over Stefanos Tsitsipas at the Australian Open.

The Russian world number two was handed two fines by Tennis Australia – $8,000 for a “visible obscenity” and $4,000 for “unsportsmanlike conduct”.

15 Likes

Kalari ace receives Padma Shri at 93!

Republic Day began like all other mornings for Sankaranarayana Menon, the 93-year-old kalaripayattu master who has been conferred the Padma Shri for his contributions to martial arts.

As has been the routine for as long as he could remember, he woke up at 5 am, bathed in the family pond, offered prayers at the courtyard temple and stepped onto the kalari (arena) in Kerala’s Chavakkad where his students waited for him, ready for three hours of gruelling training of body and mind.

There was a brief round of applause for his achievement, announced by the Government on Tuesday night, but no excess celebration. “I am obviously glad that the Government has recognised me. But it’s not the end. I will continue teaching students as long as I am alive. It’s my duty,” he says, in a soft but clear voice.

These days, his body can’t take the rigours of demonstrating the intricate steps (“adavu”) on a daily basis. Yet, Menon says he can still perform most steps without breaking a bone or pulling a muscle. The movements are no longer muscle memory, but memory itself. “I have been practising those moves since I was seven, so it has become a part of me, like my mind.” he says.

14 Likes

Tom Brady has retired from the NFL after 22 seasons.

The Greatest of All Time.

:goat:

22 Likes

:trophy: 7x Super Bowl winner
:trophy: 3x Most Valuable Player
:1st_place_medal: 15x Pro Bowl
:1st_place_medal: Career TD pass leader (624)
:1st_place_medal: Career passing yards leader (85,520)
:white_check_mark: Most career wins (243)

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐨 𝐢𝐭.

20 Likes

Legends League Cricket 2022:

All-round World Giants thump Asia Lions to win maiden title

In a high-octane final clash, the Giants posted a record 256 for five on the board before earning a 25-run win to lift the maiden Legends League Cricket title on Saturday.

15 Likes

Nadal Australian Open 2022 Champion

Rafael Nadal beats Daniil Medvedev in a 5-set thriller to lift Australian Open 2022; wins a record 21st Grand Slam title.

Nadal has beaten Medvedev 2-6,6-7,6-4,6-4,7-5 to win his 2nd Australian Open title and lift a record 21st Grand Slam trophy! :raised_hands:

19 Likes

The Grand Slam King :crown:

21 Likes

HISTORY:

Rafael Nadal has beaten Daniil Medvedev 2-6 6-7 6-4 6-4 7-5 in the Australian open final. He also overtakes Federer and Djokovic to win a 21st Grand Slam title.

15 Likes

Rafael Nadal Grand Slam title wins:

Australian Open (2)
French Open (13)
Wimbledon (2):
US Open (4)

:goat:

19 Likes

The record belongs to Rafael Nadal

16 Likes

3 - Rafael Nadal is the third oldest male player to win a Grand Slam title in the Open Era

Ken Rosewall :australia: (37 years, 1 month and 24 days at his oldest)
Roger Federer :switzerland: (36y, 5m, 7d at his oldest)
Rafael Nadal :es: (35y, 7m, 27d today)

Timeless.

17 Likes

Unnati Hooda becomes youngest Indian to win Super 100 open tournament!

14-year old Unnati Hooda became the youngest Indian to win a Super 100 tournament as she beat opponent Smit Toshniwal in straight games to claim the women’s singles title in the USD 75,000 Odisha Open badminton tournament.

The 14-year-old Unnati produced an excellent performance to emerge triumphant.

Unnati claimed the the first game after making a comeback and riding on the momentum, she won the second game without much difficulty as Toshniwal had no answer to her opponent’s aggressive approach.

19 Likes

Was great to see you DeMar DeRozan!

Fitting for it to be one of the most epic battles of the season. #SpursFamily for life :handshake:

16 Likes

This Super Bowl is one you should not miss, even if you are looking forward to the halftime show and outstanding performances from artists such as Eminem. There are numerous methods to watch the Super Bowl live stream for free, whether you are in the United States or not.
https://www.ivacy.com/blog/watch-super-bowl-online-live-stream/

8 Likes

Ace Indian shuttler PV Sindhu steamrolled her way to the second singles title of the season with a straight game win over Thailand’s Busanan Ongbamrungphan in the summit clash of the Swiss Open Super 300.

Congratulations, Sindhu :trophy::confetti_ball:

17 Likes

8⃣0⃣ races with Mercedes.

Lewis Hamilton has now achieved the most starts of any driver for a single team!

:clap:

11 Likes

VERSTAPPEN WINS IN JEDDAH!! :trophy:

Leclerc finishes just behind in second, Sainz takes third :clap:

13 Likes