🔵 Why is Chelsea underperforming this season?

Chelsea have not had a great start to the 2022-23 season and already sacked their previous manager Thomas Tuchel a little over a month in.

Their struggles have obviously continued under newly appointed manager Graham Potter who is yet to really find a solution to the weekly poor showing from the Chelsea players.

Chelsea currently sits in 9th place in the league table. In addition, they have one just one game in their last seven matches in all competitions.

In this thread, we want to discuss the reasons for Chelsea’s below-par showing in the current season.

14 Likes

I want to point out Chelsea’s lack of creativity especially in midfield as a major problem.

This may be a clichéd reason, but its reality cannot be denied this. Chelsea played with a 3-4-3 formation under Tuchel, which meant they only had a couple of midfielders at the centre of the park. N’Golo Kante’s prolonged absence to an injury meant they lacked a genuine ball-carrier venturing into the opposition half through the midfield.

As a result, Chelsea’s attacks were primarily made through the flanks with the wing-backs and wingers like Raheem Sterling and Mason Mount playing a crucial role. However, opponents have defended deep, making sure their full-backs stayed back in order to block Chelsea’s attacks.

Chelsea lacks creative midfielders and attackers, players that can create something out of nothing. It’s a major issue that needs to be addressed if they intend to get back to winning ways

9 Likes

Graham Potter Needed More Time

I believe Chelsea problem right now can be solved if they give their current boss more time to actually implement his pattern.

I think he’s capable of bringing better result but he just needed more time to finalize this.if we take a look at United Manager Erik Ten Hag,he lost his first two premier league opener and that was the first time in the history of Manchester United that a manger would loose his first two games in charge and then he want on to beat Liverpool and right Manchester United have only lost once in the last fifteen games all competition this season and also with quite notable number of clean sheets.

So I believe if Graham Potter is given more time ,I’m definitely sure he’s going to deliver better result,that am certain of it.

11 Likes

Inability to finalize defensive set-up

Chelsea used to play with a back-three under Tuchel, but Potter made his team switch to a back-four in the match against Salzburg. However, barring Thiago-Silva, no Chelsea defender has featured regularly in the starting 11 so far this season. Kalidou Koulibaly, Chelsea’s new signing from Napoli, impressed in the first few matches, but saw a red card against Leeds United and has hardly played since.

8 Likes

Inappropriate team selection and player rotation

Sterling and Havertz have played in all of Chelsea’s matches this season and Mount has featured in all but one. While Sterling has four goals and a few assists to show for it and thereby justify his inclusion, Havertz has scored only once and Mount is yet to open his account.

The poor performances of these last two have made Chelsea supporters question the team selection, given the fact players like Hakim Ziyech and Christian Pulisic have been given less game time. Ziyech has played in only four games this season — as a substitute on each occasion.

10 Likes

Chelsea forward Kai Havertz is reportedly facing an uncertain future at Stamford Bridge over the next few months.

According to Florian Plettenberg of Sky Germany, the 23-year-old could leave Chelsea for around €60million plus add-ons in the summer, though his performances in the Champions League in the second half of the season could be important to determining his future.

Chelsea fans will no doubt be disappointed that things couldn’t work out for Havertz, who looked such a promising young talent during his Bayer Leverkusen days.

9 Likes

• 10th place
• 10 points from the top four
• 6 points from last 8 Premier League matches
• Injury concerns begin to mount

Chelsea’s tough year continues :grimacing:

9 Likes

Chelsea have beaten NONE of the current top 10 in the Premier League this season :flushed:

10 Likes

It’s only January and Chelsea are already out of FA Cup, Carabao Cup, and are 10th in the Premier League :flushed:

10 Likes

Pep Guardiola: “I’s say to Todd Boehly, give Graham Potter time. Give him time. All the managers need time and he is right”. :large_blue_circle: #CFC

“At Barcelona, I didn’t need time for two seasons because I had Messi”.

12 Likes

Todd Boehly met Guardiola at the Etihad stadium yesterday as Graham Potter issues rallying cry to stick together but insisted that he did not have an issue with fans chants today by stating “I’m sure we will get the support of the fans when they see good results” (@Jack_Gaughan)

Behdad Egbhali has informed Graham Potter they still see him as the right manager and fit for long term vision. Plan is to not make a change and won’t be judged until he gets more resources and time. Potter was given an assurance that if he joined there would not be any knee jerk reactions from the owners.

:link: Ben Jacobs - CBS Sports

11 Likes

Should Chelsea give Graham Potter more time? :thinking:

10 Likes

:rotating_light: Todd Boehly at Chelsea:

:fr: Fofana: ÂŁ71m
:es: Cucurella: ÂŁ58m
:england: Sterling: ÂŁ50m
:senegal: Kouliably: ÂŁ34m
:fr: Badiashile: ÂŁ34m
:england: Chukwuemeka: ÂŁ16m
:gabon: Auba: ÂŁ11m