Who Should Win The Ballon d'Or According To You?

As the 2018/19 season has ended its time to decide the recipient for the greatest award in Football history. It is of course way too early to discuss this but as 2019 is not a FIFA World Cup year we can discuss according to the stats as to- Who was the best male player at a European club in 2019?
Let this be a different approach to our forum and I request all you user and to the one’s having their choice, to be vocal and involve projecting based on what tournaments they excelled in? Enjoyed sucess in what tournaments, Goals scored/ defended. Playmaking & assists.
Let’s take this as a platform for healthy debate and appreciate each others perception!

Although Copa America, followed by the UEFA Nations League finals are scheduled in 2019 but as we all know Champions League was likely the key to hauling in this award.

4 Likes

Lionel Messi eyes closed. Though Barca was ousted in Semis in CL.

If you consider individual performance, He is front runner by some distance. Messi finished the season with 51 goals - 36 in LaLiga, 12 in the Champions League and 3 in Copa del Rey. He has also provided 16 assists in the league and the UCL.

The 31-year-old won his third successive Golden Shoe and also became the first player to lift the award six times. He also won the Pichichi trophy for his stunning exploits in LaLiga while claiming his 10th LaLiga title.

5 Likes

Lionel Messi deserves to win the race by a mile - for now. The Argentine was at his imperious best, doing what he always did best - scoring a bucketload of goals and assisting some more. With one hand already on the accolade, Messi could all but confirm his victory for the award if he manages to steer his country to the Copa America title.
However, if Messi fails to do so, Virgil van Dijk has a really good claim to the Ballon d’Or, given his emphatic performances and winning the Champions League title for Liverpool. Netherlands are already into the semifinals of the UEFA Nations League and should they clinch the title, there’s no one stopping Van Dijk from lifting the Ballon d’Or.

3 Likes

VVD. It has been ages since a defender won it. Last i remember was fabio cannavaro. I think this time probably a defender deserves it. Also cl winner + nations league finalist. Tick all the boxes