⚽ What is Maradona's Hand of God and how did it happen?

Diego Maradona is famous for performing the ‘Hand of God’ during World Cup.

But what is it and how did it happen?

19 Likes

It all happened during Argentina’s World Cup quarter-final against England in Mexico in 1986. It can be described as one of the most famous games in football history thanks to one man, Diego Armando Maradona.

Played at the famous Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, the match was taken over by the greatest player on the planet at the time - and, for some, of all time - in Argentina’s captain and No.10.

Maradona scored a controversial goal that divided opinions in the second half of the game when he dubbed the opening goal himself after punching an aerial ball past England goalkeeper Peter Shilton.

Maradona should have received a Yellow Card for using his hand and the goal disallowed. However, as the referees did not have a clear view of the play and video assistant referee technology did not yet exist, the goal stood and Argentina led 1–0. The game ended with a 2–1 win for the Argentines, thanks to a second goal scored by Maradona, known as the “Goal of the century”. After the match, Diego Maradona stated that the goal was scored "a little with his head, and a little with the “hand of God”.

17 Likes

Technology (replays) and VAR has removed such big human errors over the years…

Maradona himself later admitted that the ‘Hand of God’ goal wouldn’t have been given if video replays had been used back then.

“Obviously I think about it whenever I show my support for the use of technology,” he said in 2017.

“I thought about it and, sure, that goal wouldn’t have stood if technology had been around.”

Maradona also admitted to using his hand in another game. :innocent:

“And I’ll tell you something else: at the 1990 World Cup I used my hand to clear the ball off the line against the Soviet Union,” he added.

“We were lucky because the referee didn’t see it.” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

10 Likes

Maradona ‘Hand of God’ Goal 1986 World Cup

9 Likes

Maradona’s ‘Hand of God’ Was More Than Just A Goal…

The ‘Hand of God’ goal remains one of the most controversial moments in world football. But behind it lies a rivalry between Argentina and England that stretched far beyond the football field.

A Must Watch Video to understand the saga of rivalry, historically stemmed hatred, conflict and political dynamics behind this eventful match.

12 Likes

‘Unbeatable’ – Incredible scouting report of Maradona aged 17 unearthed :100: :100: :boom:

Grading Assessment

Name in home country: Diego Armando Maradona
Date of birth: Oct 30, 1960
Place of birth: Lanús Argentina
Date of death: 25.11.2020 (60)
Height: 1,67 m
Citizenship: Argentina Argentina
Position: midfield - Attacking Midfield
Foot: left
Current club: — ---

“Very good, extraordinary. Speed 9.5. Starting Speed 9.5. With Ball 9.1. Without Ball 9.5. Agility 9.5. Jump power 8.”

Maradona’s jump power helped him a lot during his career. Just ask Peter Shilton.

Moral Condition

“Mental strength 10. Power of suffering 10. Concentration 10. Selfish 0. Personality 10.”

Giving Maradona 10 out of 10 for personality still seems like a bit of an understatement.

General Technique

“Unbeatable.”

It doesn’t get any better than that.

Specified Technique

“Extraordinary, effective and just dribbling. Excellent power. Extraordinary courage. Extraordinary efficiency. Very good shot. Great passing. Total accuracy. Complete vision. Average heading. Good leadership. Very good power to retain the ball. Extraordinary ball protection.”

Being “average” in the air doesn’t really matter when you’re a genius with the ball at your feet.

General Conclusions

“Young. He was born on 30/10/1960. He has prodigious technical qualities, easy dribbling. He has a straight line vision facing the goal, but he knows how to get rid of the ball for the best-placed teammate.”

We think this might just be the most glowing scout report we’ve ever seen and Maradona certainly lived up to these lofty expectations.
RESPECT Bimbo d’Oro :cry:

14 Likes