🚨 What are your thoughts on Luis Rubiales and Jenni Hermoso World Cup kiss Saga?

This is a thread for the most hotly debated topic in world football currently. The saga of Spanish FA President Luis Rubiales kissing Jenni Hermoso on stage after receiving her winning medal at the recently concluded women’s World Cup in Australia.

The kiss – delivered on stage during the official post-match ceremony – was captured on camera and has prompted outrage on social media.
Hermoso said on a live stream afterwards that she “didn’t like it”.

In comments later provided to media she appeared to clarify her position, saying it was a “natural gesture of affection”.
“It was a totally spontaneous mutual gesture because of the immense joy that winning a World Cup brings,” said Hermoso, in comments given to AFP by the Spanish federation. “

What are your thoughts on this issue?

17 Likes

Rubiales was too happy and got carried away with the euphoria of the celebrations. This singular action has marred all his efforts towards the success of the spanish teams. This is an example of 1 wrong outnumbering 99 rights.

I think he should tender a sincere apology instead of defending the action.

13 Likes

Atletico Madrid’s Leicy Santos scored the winner against AC Milan in the final of The Women’s Cup and proceeded to celebrate by holding up Jenni Hermoso’s Spanish team jersey.

Hermoso was in the crowd and Santos pointed towards her after scoring. :heart:

15 Likes

Rubiales actions then and now are bringing shame on Spain when the country should be celebrating.

She was in a greeting line waiting to be congratulated like a normal human being. Not mauled and grabbed and kissed on the mouth. He should be fired for his disgusting behavior if he refuses to step down.

15 Likes

I think Luis Rubiales and people of his stature should know it better as to what the decorum should be on the podium while presenting achievement medals to players. The presenter/s need to maintain their composure and congratulate with a simple hand shake (a pat on the back, maybe) and with words of encouragement. Hugs and kisses can be reserved for private celebrations.

Rubiales definitely owes a sincere public apology for his conduct and the Spanish Federation needs to take necessary punitive action to set an example for unacceptable behavior.

I also think this is not an one off incident. I have noticed a few unacceptable behavior at even the Men’s World Cups / Champions League / European Leagues, or other sporting events. In individual sporting events, I also find the coach’s elated gestures upon the player’s winning performance as awkward moments.

16 Likes

:rotating_light: 𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚: The Spanish FA have threatened to leave UEFA if Luis Rubiales is removed as the president.

This may have a big impact and lead to the removal of ALL Spanish teams from European competitions.

(Source: @OndaCero_es)

14 Likes

:rotating_light: Luis Rubiales’ mother has gone on a hunger strike to defend her son who is suffering from “an inhumane hunt.”

She has locked herself in the church of the Divina Pastora de Motril and asks Jenni Hermoso to “tell the truth” and to "maintain the version she held at the beginning of the events.”

(Source: @tjcope)

13 Likes

:rotating_light: The Spanish federation has officially called for the resignation of Luis Rubiales! :wave:

12 Likes

:rotating_light: There is NO CHANCE that Spanish teams will be excluded from European competitions because of the Luis Rubiales controversy.

(Source: @relevo )

14 Likes

Protesters hold small red placards during a demonstration in Madrid to show support for Jenni Hermoso.

Protestors-for-Jenni Hermoso

11 Likes

How did the football community react to Rubiales’ behaviour at the World Cup?

:speaking_head: Spain’s sports minister on Monday had demanded that Rubiales apologise.

“I think it is unacceptable to kiss a player on the lips to congratulate her,” acting minister Miquel Iceta told Spanish public radio.

“The first thing he has to do is to give explanations and make apologies, it is the logical and reasonable thing to do,” Iceta said.

The minister added that while the 1-0 victory over England on Sunday in Sydney was “a moment of intense emotions”, public officials “have to be extremely careful because we are giving a message to society and the message is equal rights, it is respect”.

:speaking_head: The minister of equality in the caretaker government, Irene Montero, called it “a form of sexual violence that we women suffer on a daily basis and until now has been invisible”.

“We can’t normalise this,” she said.

:speaking_head: Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez described Rubiales’ subsequent apology as ‘not adequate’. The Spanish women’s league, Liga F, filed a complaint with the National Sports Council (Consejo Superior de Deportes ) seeking his removal.

:speaking_head: USWNT legend Megan Rapinoe called out the conditions the Spanish women’s team had to compete in.

“It made me think about how much we are required to endure. Think how much that Spanish team had to shoulder: Some of the players who stood up way back last year (in protest at poor treatment from their federation and their coach) still aren’t on the team. Maybe that was something that galvanized them, but you shouldn’t have to have that,” Rapinoe told The Atlantic.

“There was another picture that signals such a deep level of misogyny and sexism in that federation and in that man at the final whistle, just grabbing his crotch. What kind of upside-down world are we in? On the biggest stage, where you should be celebrating, Jenni has to be physically assaulted by this guy.”

:speaking_head: Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti criticised Rubiales for his behaviour.

“It’s a very delicate topic, like most people it was behaviour that I obviously did not like,” Ancelotti told a news conference.

“It was not the behaviour of a president of the federation. I don’t know if he should resign or not, I think he will take the most adequate decision,” he added.

11 Likes

:rotating_light: Jennifer Hermoso has filed a complaint against Luis Rubiales!

[Source: AFP]

11 Likes

:us: 87-year old film director Woody Allen launches a staggering defence of Luis Rubiales:

:studio_microphone: “The kiss on the football player was wrong, but it did not burn down a school. He has the duty to apologise and go ahead… They didn’t hide, nor did he kiss her in a dark alley.

He wasn’t raping her, it was just a kiss and she was a friend. What’s wrong with that?

In any case, it is difficult to understand that a person can lose their job and be penalised in that way for kissing someone.”

9 Likes

:es: Dani Carvajal on the LuĂ­s Rubiales controversy:

:studio_microphone: “There are agencies that will determine if Jenni is truly a victim of something.

We cannot condemn a party without really knowing what happened because to date, Jennifer has not filed any complaints.”

:writing_hand: @OndaCero_es

10 Likes

Breaking: Royal Spanish Football Federation president Luis Rubiales announced that he will resign.

He also will resign from his position as vice president of UEFA.

10 Likes

:rotating_light: A judge has banned Luis Rubiales from going within 200m of Jenni Hermoso.

The former Spanish FA president has been given a restraining order today in Spanish courts.

(Source: BBC)

8 Likes

:rotating_light: Luis Rubiales has been forced to sell his luxury Madrid apartment to cover legal costs following his non-consensual kiss on Jenni Hermoso, and an increase in alimony to his ex-wife and children.

:writing_hand: Sun Sport

7 Likes