The End of an Era: What's Next for Lionel Messi?

Laporta: “I want to end by saying that Leo wanted to stay, so did we. The fact that he wanted to stay, which was the first step to see if we could direct him, we have to thank all those who have negotiated, on the part of the club and Leo.”

4 Likes

Laporta: “Many things had to be made compatible. The issue of ‘fair play’, to do it in a certain time because the player has other proposals.”

3 Likes

Barça president Joan Laporta on Messi deal with PSG: “Messi to Paris Saint-Germain and if would I like to see him there? I’d like to see Messi at Barça… ask him, I don’t know about PSG but for sure he has options”.

6 Likes

Barça president Laporta: “We’ve shaken our hands with Leo Messi. The new contract was DONE. Two years salary but paid until 2026.

It was 100% AGREED, we had to SIGN yesterday. But then La Liga rules and reality came, I told to Jorge Messi yesterday… a cold shower”.

6 Likes

Barça president Laporta: “Leo Messi had other offers on the table but he wanted to STAY, also if our proposal was inferior on financial point of view. He was NOT creating any problem, trust me - he did many financial efforts to stay here, the contract was agreed”.

6 Likes

Barça president Joan Laporta: “I spoke with Jorge Messi and Leo in the last hours… there’s no chance to continue together. We can’t go through because of the financial regulations, very sad but that’s it. New era”.

Barça expect losses of €487m for last season.

6 Likes

:spiral_calendar:—May 16, 2021

Messi’s final goal in a Barcelona kit :pleading_face:

6 Likes

How the Barcelona dressing room said goodbye to Lionel Messi

It may have taken the best part of 24 hours, but with Lionel Messi now on the cusp of signing for Paris Saint-Germain, a number of Barcelona’s players have said emotional goodbyes to the Argentine on social media.

6 Likes

Sergio Busquets

Busquets and Messi have been teammates since the midfielder’s introduction into the team in 2008 under the stewardship of Pep Guardiola, with the duo winning three Champions League titles together.

“Thank you for what you have done for the club and for those who have accompanied you in these years,” Busquets posted.

“You arrived here as a child and you’re leaving as the best player in history. You have made this club grow to the height it deserves and I can always say I played and shared many moments with you, I will miss you so much.”

12 Likes

Ansu Fati

“All the players who come to La Masia dream of being able to play with you, I feel fortunate to have achieved that,” Fati posted on Instagram.

“I wanted to thank you for these two years, for your gestures of affection towards me and for everything I learned, my family and I will always be eternally grateful.”

11 Likes

Coutinho

“Thank you for everything, it was a great honour to have met you and played by your side, I’m very grateful for the way you treated me and my family during that time,” Coutinho detailed.

“I wish you much success in your future.”

It wasn’t just current teammates who paid tribute to Messi either, with both Xavi Hernandez and Gerard Deulofeu making their own feelings clear.

12 Likes

Xavi Hernandez

“As a Cule, teammate and friendly, I can only thank you for everything you have given us during these years, whatever you do I wish you the best.”

11 Likes

Gerard Deulofeu

“What a pleasure it was to share moments at the best club in the world with the best player in history, I have so much admiration and respect for you, we can only thank you for all the magic you have given us and you will continue to give us every week on the pitch.”

13 Likes

OFFICIAL. Press conference tomorrow. Lionel Messi will speak from Camp Nou. :argentina::red_circle:

7 Likes

Messi: “I was convinced to stay here at Barcelona. This is my home, our home. I wanted to stay at Barça and it was the plan… and today I’ve to say goodbye after my entire life here”.

5 Likes

Lionel Messi: "If I dreamed of bidding farewell, I would like to say goodbye to a fully packed Camp Nou. I am grateful to everyone who loves and supports me.

I’ve missed the fans so much over the past year. I think of those who sang my name.

5 Likes

Simply heartbreaking to see this happen. :broken_heart:

5 Likes

Lionel Messi confirms: “My new contract was DONE. All done. I wanted to stay and when I come back from holidays, it was done.

…then it’s how Laporta explained it. At the last minute, with everything with La Liga, it couldn’t happen”.

4 Likes

Leo Messi: “Best moment here? This is very difficult. I’ve experiences a lot of things here, but maybe my debut. That was my dream come true. I will always remember that moment.”

“The renewal? It was all done and at the last moment due to the La Liga issue, it couldn’t be done.”

5 Likes

“Are you joining PSG?”

Leo Messi: “I have nothing confirmed with anybody, but it’s one possibility. When the news was there, I had a lot of calls, but nothing is closed yet.”

4 Likes