⚽ General Football News 2021-22 Season- Open Thread

Janny Sikazwe, the man in charge of Tunisia’s game with Mali during AFCON 2022 has finally revealed why he continued to referee the match despite concerns over his health.

Lionel Messi and Mauro Icardi couldn’t find their way to goal against Nice in the French Cup. Their performances have annoyed disappointed fans, even more so as they lost on penalties. Xavi Simons took one of them, against the wishes of his coach.

The Tunisia-Mali Referee Finally Reveals Why He Blew The Full-time Whistle On The 85th Minute

24 Likes

"I’m very happy, very happy to be here and I’m already looking forward to on the pitch” Aubameyang said after reaching Barcelona.

21 Likes

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang dreamt of playing for Real Madrid.

He just signed for their biggest rivals.

15 Likes

Inter Miami sign DeAndre Yedlin.

The USMNT defender returns to MLS after seven years in Europe :white_check_mark:

17 Likes

Trinity Rodman is the highest-paid player in NWSL history.

The 19-year-old signed a four-year, $1.1M guaranteed contract with the Washington Spirit :clap:

22 Likes

Robert Lewandowski and Alexia Putellas have been nominated for the Laureus World Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year Awards :handshake:

22 Likes

Argentina haven’t lost a match since July 2019 :triumph:

They hold the longest active unbeaten streak in international football (29).

18 Likes

Neymar has won the Samba Gold award for being the best Brazilian footballer in Europe for 2021 :trophy:

Did anybody miss out? :brazil:

20 Likes

Barcelona are only able to register 3 of their January signings for the Europa League due to UEFA regulations.

Who should they leave out? :thinking:

18 Likes

Since 2020, Edouard Mendy has reached finals in the:

EFL Cup
FA Cup
UEFA Champions League
Africa Cup of Nations

:large_blue_circle::raised_hands::senegal:

20 Likes

Dani Alves has been excluded from Barcelona’s Europa League squad.

The club can only include three new signings, Xavi opted to include Ferran Torres, Adama Traore and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang :x:

21 Likes

In 2013, Alexis Sanchez was playing for Barcelona and a 14-year-old Ben Brereton Diaz was playing for Stoke City’s academy.

Nine years later, they’re teammates for Chile :exploding_head:

18 Likes

:rotating_light: 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆: A new rape charge has been brought to Benjamin Mendy. He has now been charged with 8 counts of rape.

(Source: L’Equipe)

18 Likes

Barcelona president Joan Laporta still believes Ousmane Dembele is better that Kylian Mbappe :fr:

14 Likes

Chelsea are through to the The FA Women’s League Cup final :muscle:

16 Likes

A journalist asked Cristiano Ronaldo:

"Why does your mother still live with you?

Why don’t you build her a house?"

Cristiano Ronaldo replied:

"My mother raised me and she dedicated her life for me. She would go to sleep hungry, just to let me eat. We had no money at all.

She worked 7 days a week and nights as a maid to buy my first shoes so I could be a player. All my success is dedicated to her and because of her and as long as she has a life, she will always be by my side, she has everything I can give. She is my refuge and my greatest gift." :heart:

17 Likes

Do you know?

Cristiano Ronaldo was popular with other students of his school and his teachers loved him but still he was expelled from the school at the age of 14!

Reason of expell: He threw a chair at his teacher!

Ronaldo said the reason he did it was because that teacher disrespected him.

That teacher made a joke about him and his family, just because of his poor conditions and he can’t afford that.

Despite it being a negative thing, it turned into a great turning point in his life. His mother then encouraged him to focus all his attention on soccer which he did and turned him into an international sensation.

Fearless Legend! :muscle:t2:

15 Likes

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: "At Barcelona, I was the tallest player on the field, but when Iniesta and Xavi had the ball, they always saw Messi.

“I don’t blame them, because Messi never disappoints with the ball at his feet, it’s either a goal or an assist.”

15 Likes

FIFA is investigating the St. Kitts and Nevis FA’s appointment of Ahmed Mohamed as its director of football.

Mohamed resigned as technical director of the Barbados national team in February 2021 after multiple female players accused him of sexual abuse and harassment.

15 Likes

The Club World Cup begins today. There’s been some fun duels in the final :boom:

18 Likes