Gavaskar's uncalled comment, RCB's poor performance - All that went wrong in RCBvKXIP IPL 2020

RCB and Captain Kohli would definitely want to erase yesterday’s match against KXIP from it’s IPL records.

RCB team seemed to have had an off day in the field as they suffered a crushing 97-run defeat against KXIP.
All that went wrong yesterday:

• RCB skipper Virat Kohli fined Rs 12 lakh for slow over-rate.

• Virat’s fielding mishaps - Kohli dropped KL Rahul’s catch twice, once in the 17th over at deep square-leg when Rahul was batting on 83 and then again in the 18th over when he was on 89. Rahul then went on to smash an unbeaten 132 off just 69 balls.

• RCB’s poor performance - RCB, chasing a huge total of 203, got off to a terrible start. RCB lost three wickets in the power play. They needed either of Kohli or ABD to step up, but both were dismissed without making much of an impact. Punjab kept chipping in with wickets, and never allowed the RCB batsmen to get back into the game. RCB were bowled out for 109 in 17 overs.

• As the Indian captain failed to rise up to the challenge, Sunil Gavaskar made an uncalled remark involving Virat Kohli and his actor wife Anushka Sharma. In the commentary box, Gavaskar made a comment - “Inhone lockdown me to bas Anushka ki gendon ki practice ki hai,” i.e. “he only trained against Anushka’s balls during the lockdown.”

I think the remark was in bad taste even if it was an impromptu attempt to take a sarcastic dig at Kohli’s yesterday’s performance. It was disrespectful to drag Anushka’s name for Kohli’s bad day on the field.

Furious Fans slammed Gavaskar’s remark with tweets like ‘Remove him from commentary’.

Do you think Commentators should be held responsible for such casual comments?

14 Likes

Gavaskar is a legend and he should behave like a legend! you can’t say things like this while on air.
It’s not the first time she has gone through this and it hurts more when someone like Gavaskar do it. Maybe it was banter for him but not for people watching the game.

10 Likes

Oh shit! Utterly pathetic comment coming from one of India’s greatest cricketing legend. It’s not fair to bring his personal life and blame him for his poor form. Every sportsman goes through ups and downs in his form, doesnt mean someone has the right to have a go at his wife on live television. The statement uttered gives a dreadful wrong meaning and sounds cheap.

I dont understand the mentality of Indian audience. Why is that Anushka Sharma is dragged everytime when he doesnt perform? Gavaskar should apologize for this.

9 Likes

71 year old making such derogatory comment on live television. Cricket is called a gentlemen’s game and Sunil Gavaskar is taken as inspiration by many youngsters. He should come out in open and give reasons for why he chose to use such below the class language.

Anushka Sharma’s reply to Gavaskar’s Statement

Anushka took to Instagram to express her disappointment.

She wrote, That, Mr Gavaskar, your message is distasteful is a fact but I would love for you to explain why you thought of making such a sweeping statement on a wife accusing her for her husband’s game?

“I am sure over the years you have respected the private lives of every cricketer while commentating on the game. Don’t you think you should have equal amount of respect for me and us? I am sure you can have many other words and sentences in your mind to use to comment on my husband’s performance from last night or are your words only relevant if you use my name in the process?

“It’s 2020 and things still don’t change for me. When will I stop getting dragged into cricket and stop being used to pass sweeping statements? Respected Mr Gavaskar, you are a legend whose names stands tall in this gentleman’s game. Just wanted to tell you what I felt when I heard you say this,” Anushka Sharma wrote in her Instagram story.

10 Likes

What Mr. Gavaskar commented is totally unacceptable and disrespectful. He must apologize to both Virat & Anushka. I think that is the right thing to do for Mr. Gavaskar and be gentleman enough to apologize for the unintended remark.

6 Likes

Bad comment by the Legend!

This is how the remarks should be on bad performance. Bhogle is the best, a class commentator!

Harsha-Bhogle-RCB-IPL2020

Harsha Bhogle also once said in his interviews, “It must be very hard to be a fan of RCB”. And boy, it is true !!!

It is difficult to be RCB fan! :cold_sweat: :cry:

9 Likes

Utterly shocking! What was Gavaskar was even thinking?! Totally Uncalled for! :rage:

Sunny FIM

9 Likes

Gavaskar issued a clarification on the incident while urging everyone to go through the original clip again.

“I did not make any sexist comment. I said Virat Kohli didn’t get time to practice during lockdown. We all saw how Virat Kohli was practicing on his terrace and Anushka was bowling to him. I just said Virat only got chance to practice on Anushka’s bowling.”

4 Likes