Eion and England bury AFG under sixes

It rained Sixes and Records at Old trafford yesterdsay. Poor Afghans were buried under English run avalanche. Records tubled like nine pins under ferocious Eng assault.

Morgan hit 17 Sixes in his innings - the most by an individual in an ODI. Morgan hit one more than the previous record, which was jointly held by Rohit Sharma, AB de Villiers and Chris Gayle. The previous World Cup record was also 16 sixes, Gayle’s mark against Zimbabwe in 2015.

England hit 25 Sixes in their innings - the most in any ODI innings by a team. They beat their own previous record of 24 sixes, which they achieved against West Indies in Grenada earlier this year.

England batsmen hit 25 Sixes - Most by them in a World Cup. England had hit 22 sixes from nine matches in the 2007 World Cup. Morgan alone has matched that number in this edition.

22 Sixes hit by Morgan in this World Cup - already the second most hit by any batsman in an edition of the World Cup. The overall record for most sixes in an ODI series belongs to Gayle, who hit 39 of them in a five-match ODI series against England at home earlier this year.

7 Sixes hit off Rashid by Morgan in this match - the most by a batsman off any bowler in an ODI. In many other instances, bowlers have conceded six sixes in an innings to one batsman. Jason Holder deserves a mention here for suffering the fate twice at the hands of AB de Villiers.

386 England’s previous highest total in the World Cup, which came against Bangladesh in Cardiff earlier in this edition. Their total of 397 for 6 in this match is the sixth highest by any team in World Cups.

6 Likes

What do you say friends, Was the Eng six hitting spree a freak incident or will we see such things becoming new norm in world cricket?

1 Like

What I have seen a lot in cricket is nothing becomes a norm this easily. Also, England has made highly inconsistent pitches. SA vs NZ pitch was a good bowling wicket where the slow bowlers, even the off and leg cutters from fast bowlers were getting a lot of help from the pitch and on the other day we see as flat pitches as I have ever seen. As I have previously also mentioned, as soon as England started producing good quality power hitters the pitches changed, this World Cup is just giving a testimony to my previous theory

3 Likes