Does Frank Lampard Deserve more time at Chelsea: Where did he get it wrong?

What next for Frank Lampard at Chelsea?

frank-lampard-manager-of-chelsea-reacts-following-the-premier-league-picture-id1253725432

Chelsea’s slide down the Premier League table continued with a 3-1 loss to Manchester City at Stamford Bridge; Frank Lampard finds himself under mounting pressure after only one win from six games either side of Christmas.

Frank Lampard pulled no punches on his Chelsea players after their Boxing Day loss to Arsenal, describing their first-half display as “lazy” and saying “all the basics were wrong” in the way they approached the game.

The comments were intended to provoke a reaction from his squad but not this one. Sunday’s performance at Stamford Bridge, where Manchester City ran out 3-1 winners, was even worse. “When you start questioning work-rate and desire, no matter how good a team you are, you are going to slip up,” said Sky Sports pundit Roy Keane.

Throw in their 1-1 draw with Aston Villa last time out and Chelsea are without a win in their last three games. Go back further than that and it is one in six. Lampard’s side topped the Premier League after their 3-1 win over Leeds in early December. Now they sit eighth.

It has been an alarming slide and while Lampard has questioned the contributions of his players, the spotlight is now falling on him.

For all the investment in the summer, his Chelsea side are three points and four places worse off than at the same stage of last season. “Last year he had a free pass,” added Keane, “but they’ve spent money and it brings added pressures.”

Lampard is certainly feeling those pressures now. He can complain about the application of his players but what hope is there when they are set up as poorly as they were against City?

Lampard called on his players to redouble their efforts after the Arsenal game but City outran them by four kilometres at Stamford Bridge, according to Premier League tracking data, and the manager’s half-time team talk seemed to make little difference.

In fact, Lampard’s side have failed to win any of their six games against the Premier League’s current top seven this season.

Liverpool, Everton and Manchester City have all beaten them while Manchester United, Tottenham and Aston Villa have held them to draws. It is a record that reflects poorly on the man in the dugout.

There are problems to address all over the pitch.

At one end, they have shipped more goals than relegation-threatened Burnley and only two fewer than Fulham. At the other, new additions are struggling to make an impact. Lampard favoured Timo Werner over Olivier Giroud or Tammy Abraham against City but the German is now without a goal in his last 12 Chelsea appearances.

“I expected difficulties and I know becoming title contenders doesn’t come easy,” Lampard said in his post-match press conference.

“One month ago, people were asking me if I was signing a new contract, but now we’ve lost four games. The pressure is always there. I was aware of that when I took the job. But we have to keep going.”

The 42-year-old will hope he still has enough credit in the bank to see this period out having steered the club to a Champions League finish in difficult circumstances last season.

But he knows as well as anyone that Roman Abramovich has sacked Chelsea managers for less.

To sit eighth nearly halfway into the season is not, you suspect, what Abramovich had in mind when he sanctioned £226m in spending during the summer.

And while Lampard is right when he says new players need time to adapt, it is far easier to ask for patience when you are relying on academy graduates rather than expensively-acquired recruits.

There have been mitigating circumstances over the course of his 18 months in charge but his overall record does not look good in the context of what came before it. In fact, his average of 1.67 points per game across his 55 Premier League games in charge is the lowest of any manager in the Abramovich era.

“I’ll always feel heat,” he added. "I felt the heat when we were on our good run as I knew that around the corner there could have been the negative. We’re striving to get to the level of the teams that won things here during the Roman Abramovich era but we’re not at that stage yet.

"I can’t speak for those on the board. I can’t answer what they’re thinking about the difficult run of results like I couldn’t answer for them when there was talk about a new contract a month ago.

“But there was never going to be an absolute trajectory that was going to be up and up and up. I saw flaws in my team even during the 16-game [unbeaten] run.”

Do you think Lampard deserves more time to turn things around? Or Chelsea need to be Proactive and start seeking alternatives to the English man…

21 Likes

When you get to spend £226m in acquiring expensive recruits and yet sit 8th on the table then there are obviously going to be expectations from management and fans.

Wonder what’s wrong with Timo Werner? A prolific goal scorer at RB Leipzig and German national team seems to have lost his zeal since the move to Chelsea, having scored just 4 Premier League goals in 17 appearances.

I think Frank Lampard deserves a little more time to reassess and fix the flaws. I also think the team is equally responsible and the new signings such as Timo Werner, Thiago Silva, and Kai Havertz need to pitch in their best to turn the tides in their favor.

18 Likes

Frank Lampard was appointed at Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2019 having spent just one year as a manager, at Championship side Derby County.

While Lampard arrived with plenty of goodwill having enjoyed a trophy-laden spell as a Chelsea player, I personally expected huge increase in pressure and expectations, and that the favour of the fans would turn quickly if results were not forthcoming. Which is exactly the situation presently.

Lampard enjoyed a successful start to life as Chelsea boss though, returning them to the Champions League for the 2020-21 season thanks to a top-four Premier League finish.

The story has changed quite a lot this season, with his Chelsea side struggling to find consistency in the Premier League despite the huge investments on quality players he has at his disposal. After a run of 17 unbeaten games the Blues have now returned just four points from 18 in the Premier League and were comprehensively outplayed by City yesterday.

In my own opinion, the main reason Frank Lampard is struggling at Chelsea is due to a Lack of principles of play or a process. There’s no proper build up, no methodical play. As a consequence it’s frustrating to watch Chelsea each time. Chelsea should nail top 3 this season and I am not convinced Lampard is the man.

11 Likes

Chelsea’s last six games in the Premier League:

LLWLDL

Just one win in their last six games and they’ve dropped down to 8th in the table.

8 Likes

Andrei Shevchenko is one of the names being talked about as a replacement for Frank Lampard, should he be sacked.

Source: Le10sport

11 Likes

chelsea-manager-head-coach-frank-lampard-at-full-time-of-the-premier-picture-id1202452095

Since the start of December, only West Bromwich Albion (5) and Sheffield United (6) have lost more Premier League games than Chelsea (4).

7 Likes

Frank Lampard is set to be given time to prove that he deserves to stay as Chelsea’s manager despite growing alarm behind the scenes about performances and the club’s board being alerted to Thomas Tuchel’s interest in the job if it becomes available.

- Guardian_sport

11 Likes

Chelsea managers points per game since 2003 (minimum 30 games):

Avram Grant (32) - 2.31
Jose Mourinho (212) - 2.19
Antonio Conte (76) - 2.14
Claudio Ranieri (38) - 2.08
Carlo Ancelotti (76) - 2.07
Guus Hiddink (34) - 1.94
Maurizio Sarri (38) - 1.89
Frank Lampard (55) - 1.67

:flushed:
IMG_20210105_115151

14 Likes

Chelsea board ‘decide on what grounds’ they will sack Frank Lampard as pressure mounts

According to journalist Gabriele Marcotti, Chelsea are not prepared to pull the trigger just yet.

Marcotti said on the Byline Podcast: “Frank Lampard’s job is safe and the board have faith that he can turn it around.”

“If top four starts to look unlikely, then a change could be made.”

Lampard has made it clear that he is not fearing the sack, which would suggest he has been reassured that the club are committed to their long-term project.

13 Likes

Chelsea have drawn up a shortlist for possible successors to Frank Lampard:

:it: Massimiliano Allegri
:austria: Ralph Hasenhüttl
:de: Julian Nagelsmann
:uk: Brendan Rodgers
:de: Thomas Tuchel

(Source: BILD)

14 Likes

Is this the end of the road for Frank Lampard?

new-chelsea-manager-frank-lampard-holds-the-chelsea-shirt-as-he-is-picture-id1153597686

Chelsea yet again lost another premier league game against one of their biggest challengers for the top 4 this season, this time it was Brendan Rodgers Leicester City turn to take advantage of Frank Lampard lackluster and underwhelming Chelsea team.

This is Brendan Rodgers first win against Chelsea as a manager after 16 attempts and it has to come against a Frank Lampard team. Chelsea have now lost 5 out of their last 8 games and have now failed to beat any big team this season, earning 2 points out of 21 against the big Seven teams in the league, in fact the only team Chelsea have beaten in the top half of the table this season is Westham United at Stamford Bridge.

Despite spending over £200M to acquire German machines in Werner and Havertz, both have looked more like a shadow of who they used to be at Leipzig and Leverkusen. Could it be a tactical problem or psychological? Pulisic is another player who has been struggling this season after showing glimpses of his abilities last season… Frank Lampard has questioned his players for not doing the mere basics in games but I doubt if Frank Lampard is getting the basic tactics as manager of the team…The players go into games without believing in their own abilities nor have the confidence in the manager to influence games.

Frank Lampard now has the lowest win percentage of any manager in the Roman Abramovich era and I think majority of the fans are now getting infuriated with the manager and the players body language is showing a vote of no confidence in their manager… I personally believe Frank still lacks the basic knowledge to manage a team as big as Chelsea and I think he took the job too soon…The fans are clamouring for a change especially after watching their team play weak in weak out, boasting 60% of possesion but always failing to create meaningful chances in games and knowing they now support a team without a define pattern or style of play despite being backed by the board…Is it a time for a change? Is this the end of the road for Frank Lampard? Are the fans right to demand for a change? Kindly share your opinion…

15 Likes

Frank Lampard is feeling the pressure at Chelsea.

10 Likes

The deteriorating performance of key players and their lack of confidence seems to me a matter of concern. If the manager is not able to boost the team morale and confidence of players, that to me would be the tipping point and time to hand over the baton to a new person.

16 Likes

Frank Lampard Does not have the CV to turn things around at Chelsea.

Via Nizaar kinsella (Chelsea’s goal Correspondent)

Chelsea’s latest 2-0 defeat to Leicester City on Tuesday night could spell the end of the former midfielder’s spell in charge

The manner of the defeats to top opposition is a growing cause for concern. Chelsea haven’t beaten a team in the top six this season. They have drawn 0-0 with Manchester United and Tottenham, and lost to Everton, Leicester, Liverpool and Manchester City.

Worse still, some of these big sides have toyed with Chelsea, with Leicester just the latest team to cruise to victory over Lampard’s troops.

The stats don’t make for good reading either. Chelsea have their lowest points total after 19 games since Abramovich took over the club – aside from the season when they finished 10th.

Lampard also has the worst away defensive league record of any Chelsea manager since the Premier League began in 1992.

The only positive is that amid such a poor run, the Blues remain only nine points off the top of the table - but they now have a host of teams with games in hand ahead of them as they sit in eighth place.

Chelsea can turn it around but it might be easier with a new manager. Thomas Tuchel, Julian Nagelsmann, Ralph Hassenhuttl, Max Allegri or even Leicester’s Brendan Rodgers are the early contenders. Some are already angling for the hot seat at Stamford Bridge.

Lampard will always be a legend at Chelsea – but he might not be the manager for much longer.

14 Likes

(:sunny:) Chelsea board now ‘more than disappointed’ by Frank Lampard :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 [FabrizioRomano]

12 Likes

Lampard out! Chelsea fans have lost their patience

Sarah Winterburn @ Football365: Lampard’s been given time, backing, and plenty of patience; but it’s just not working, there’s no real sign of improvement, and the team is clearly massively under-performing their potential.

Any team – not only Chelsea – would be thinking of changing manager at this point. And as noted, Chelsea have had plenty of success with frequent chopping and changing. I think a change now is the right move – based on historical precedent this is quite likely to lead to a vast immediate improvement, with about a 50% chance of making the Champions League final.

Frank Lampard could become a great manager one day, but sadly it seems right now the job is just not going to work out for him, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see him turn up at Celtic ahead of next season to take on Steven Gerrard’s Rangers.
Mikey, CFC

9 Likes

It has to be the end.
My fear is that much damages woulda been done before the new coach takes over.

13 Likes

I am never a fan of jumping guns too quickly. Chelsea appointed Lampard with much thought. He was a great player and knows the game well. Chelsea would do well to invest a little more in Lampard. Give him some time to improve performances of under performers.

4 Likes

BREAKING: Frank Lampard will be fired as Chelsea manager today, reports @Matt_Law_DT :rotating_light:

11 Likes

Frank Lampard is set be sacked by Chelsea less than 24 hours after the club’s FA Cup victory over Luton Town.

Confirmation could come as soon as today after Chelsea players were told not to report to the training ground until this afternoon.

8 Likes