🇦🇺 Border-Gavaskar Trophy - India vs Australia Test Series (2020/21)- Full schedule, Squads, Match Previews, Results & Discussions

36 all out: India’s unbelievable batting collapse!

Entire team all out with not even a single batsman making it to double digit!!

Josh Hazlewood took 5-8 in five overs and Pat Cummins added 4-21 in 10.2 overs as India crumbled in jaw-dropping fashion on the third day to be all out for 36, their lowest ever Test score.

Watch all the wickets fall

25 Likes

Can it get any worse than this?? :expressionless:

21 Likes

Australia need 43 runs to win!

IND-vs-AUS-1st-Test

AUS

Full Scorecard

20 Likes

Australia vs India 1st Test: Australia win by 8 wickets

The Indian cricket team under Virat Kohli faced its worst hour of embarrassment while collapsing to its lowest Test score of 36 as a rampaging Australia cruised to an emphatic eight-wicket victory inside two and half days in the opening Day/Night Test on Saturday.

Josh Hazlewood (5-3-8-5) and Patrick Cummins (10.2-4-21-4) displayed fast bowling of highest quality, the impact of which will be far-reaching with three more Tests to go.

India’s earlier lowest score was 42 at the Lord’s in 1974 against England, known in Indian cricket parlance as the “Summer of 42”.

India have now lost three successive Tests well inside three days with two being in New Zealand earlier this year.

To sum it up, the Indian batsmen failed to factor in the pitch suddenly becoming more livelier with extra bounce. The two Australian pacers bowled deliveries that the visiting batsmen had to play and the ultra-defensive mindset that they carried from the first innings didn’t help their cause.

Never has a Test match changed so dramatically in an hour’s play like it did at the Adelaide Oval on today. Worse, a collapse like this could affect the performance in the next Test match at the MCG, beginning December 26, and not to forget they won’t have a Kohli to look up to as he would be on paternity leave.

– PTI

17 Likes

Lowest scores at Adelaide Oval

20 - Gold Coast (2017)
26 - Western Bulldogs (2018)
29 - Essendon (2020)
33 - Adelaide (2020)
34 - Fremantle (2019)
35 - Adelaide (2020)
35 - North Melbourne (2020)
36 - India (2020)

5 matches out of 8 mark the lowest score at Adelaide Oval.

I think, it will be fair to write off 2020 as an outlier at Adelaide. What say? :wink:

17 Likes

Paaji had a smart OTP to forget this match! :joy:

(Number is runs made by each batsman) :laughing:

Sehwag

19 Likes

The question is now who comes in for VK? Rahul or Shubhman? Rahul will have a first claim I guess.

Another twist may be that, Shaw makes way and Both Rahul and Gill get a chance. Then there will be further twist, Who would open?

Interesting times!

10 Likes

Rohit Sharma is said to be available from 3rd Test match after the completion of his quarantine period. Kohli absent for the rest of the series.

Given the absence of these 2 key players, it will be up to the Indian team to prove their value and weightage in global cricket. The entire cricket world will be watching how the team performs to gauge the strength of team India without key players.

I also see this as a great opportunity for players to rise up…for the Indian cricket board and fans to judge the strength of the team as a whole without the star captains in the lead…a succession plan scenario say 3/4 years down the path when the star players contemplate retirement.

I truly think that Shaw should be relieved of the burden and pressure of coming in as an opening batsman…at least for the time being. Poor boy has been wading through rough patches over the last couple of years and is yet to find the mental grit to turn things around and sustain. From a psychological perspective, I think, he should be placed a little below down the batting order. I am pretty sure one day he will come back stronger as opening batsman but until then he needs to really work hard holistically with some focused guidance.

There is no point in repeating the same mistakes. I am no expert by any account, but as mentioned before the 1st Test match, I think KL Rahul should open with Mayank Agarwal. As genius Albert Einstein aptly observed - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". I think this profound remark is universally applicable.

Before 1st Test Match :point_down:

15 Likes

Who are yopu rooting for?

Who should open with Mayank?
  • Shaw
  • Rahul

0 voters

14 Likes

Most Test matches Played against India

122 - England
99 - Australia
98 - Westindies
59 - Newzealand
59 - Pakistan
44 - Srilanka

Upcoming Test match will be India’s 100th Test match against Australia.

13 Likes

India announce playing XI for Boxing Day Test - IND vs AUS

Shubman Gill and Mohammed Siraj to make debuts. India made four changes - two of them forced - to their playing XI which lost in Adelaide. Gill replaced an out-of-form Prithvi Shaw and will open the batting with Mayank Agarwal.

Ravindra Jadeja came in for Virat Kohli (on paternity leave) as India decided to strengthen their bowling department. Rishabh Pant replaced Wriddhiman Saha as the wicket-keeper-batsman of the side while right-arm pacer Mohammed Siraj replaced Mohammed Shami, who was ruled out with a wrist fracture.

Hanuma Vihari held on to his spot and is likely to bat at No.5. Rahane, on the other hand, should go one slot up and bat at No.4, a position which is owned by Kohli. There was no place for KL Rahul as India went for Jadeja, who regained his fitness after missing the first Test.

India trail the four-match Border-Gavaskar Trophy 1-0.

23 Likes

India have won only one “Boxing Day” Test match till today.

22 Likes

A big task on Ajinkya Rahane’s hand as he looks to pick up a wounded Indian side in the absence of Virat Kohli.

15 Likes

Stand-in captain Ajinkya Rahane looks to bring India back in the series, as they take on Australia in the Boxing Day Test. Here’s Harsha Bhogle & Adam Collins with the preview of the 2nd Test.

Changes galore would mean India’s decision making in 1st Test was wrong: Harsha Bhogle

20 Likes

Watch India’s stand-in captain Ajinkya Rahane speak about plans for the Boxing Day Test against Australia, leading in Virat Kohli’s absence and more.

Focus not on me as captain, it’s about how well India can do: Rahane

20 Likes

Let the Australians play mind games: Rahane

“Australians are very good at playing mind games and I will let them do that. We are focusing on ourselves, what we want to do as a unit and we are going to back our every individuals,” Rahane said on the eve of the match.

He was very clear that he wouldn’t take any additional pressure of captaining the team but will make the most of this opportunity.

15 Likes

None of the two make the cut! :frowning: Gill pips to the post.

Double disappointment for Rahul. He loses out on two spots, he neither gets opening slot of Shaw or middle order slot of Kohli.

Might the Rahane be afraid of losing his own slot after return of Rohit & Kohli? :thinking:

7 Likes

KL Rahul’s exclusion was a surprise to me. Though good to see Pant given a chance. Expected Shaw to be dropped.

Complacency leads to under-performers! Players need to be rotated once in a while to drive better overall performance of individuals.

Quite possible! It also depends on how the 2nd test turns out to be.

Going by Rahane’s remarks, he seems to be carrying the right attitude for a captain facing Australians on their soil!

15 Likes

The Indian Line up in the First and Last Test of the Decade!

Interestingly only cheteshwar pujara is part of both the Tests !

19 Likes

India vs Australia, 2nd Test: 1st Innings - Australia 195 All out!

Despite having lost the toss, Team India have had a wonderful morning session. Australia are crumbling down like a pack of cards. Indian bowlers put Australia in tatters. Bumrah takes 4, Ashwin 3 wkts Md. Siraj 2 wkts & Jadeja 1 wkt.

Scorecard-1

Scorecard-3

Full Scorecard

14 Likes