🎾 2021 Wimbledon - 28 June to 11 July - Open Discussion, News and Daily Updates

ORDER OF PLAY, SINGLES – WEDNESDAY JULY 7

Day-9 will see all 4 quarter-finals of the Men’s Singles being played on the day with two matches scheduled on the Centre Court and two matches played on the No. 1 Court. There won’t be any Women’s Singles match played with the next round of Women’s Singles scheduled on Day-10.

CENTRE COURT (1.30PM)

• Novak Djokovic (SRB) [1] v Marton Fucsovics (HUN)
  • Roger Federer (SUI) [6] v Hubert Hurkacz (POL) [14]

COURT 1 (1PM)

• Karen Khachanov (RUS) [25] v Denis Shapovalov (CAN) [10]
  • Matteo Berrettini (ITA) [7] v Felix Auger-Aliassime (CAN) [16]
16 Likes

the odds of anyone else to win wimbledon other than djoko were so high. still think federer can go all the way.

17 Likes

Hubert Hurkacz ousting Daniil Medvedev is not so good news for Federer. Even before Djokovic, Federer has to face Hurkacz today. Hurkacz has proved that he is ready for the big stage after his victory over 2nd seeded Medvedev.

It is Hurkacz first Grand Slam quarter-final. Coming in as an underdog, it wouldn’t be wise to underestimate Hurkacz as he can prove to be lethal. At this stage, a win over Medvedev has given him the required confidence to march ahead and he will give his all to make the most of the opportunity to play at the big stage.

Federer no doubt has a ton of experience and a crowd favorite but I see his fitness level a little matter of concern especially due to the injuries over the last couple of years. It will be interesting to see if he can outlast the newbie Polish 24 year old.

Well there is nothing new to say about Djokovic who is in the best of his form. There is no match to his agility, flexibility and a resolute psychological mindset.

18 Likes

Denis Shapovalov into First Wimbledon Semi-final

With 5-set Win over Karen Khachanov

Canada’s Denis Shapovalov reached his first Wimbledon semi-final beating Russia’s Karen Khachanov 6-4, 3-6, 5-7, 6-1, 6-4 in an engrossing tussle that lasted 3hrs 26 mins.

Shapovalov will play defending champion Novak Djokovic in Friday’s semi-final.

The 22-year-old, who is also into his first Grand Slam semi-final, is the first Canadian man to reach the last four at Wimbledon since Milos Raonic in 2016.

17 Likes

:india: Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna’s mixed doubles campaign is over. They lose 3-6,6-3,9-11 to Jean-Julien Rojer and Andreja Klepac.

And with that, India’s challenge at Wimbledon ends.

Sania Mirza will be next seen playing at the all-important Tokyo Olympics starting later this month where she will be teaming up with Ankita Raina in mixed doubles.

16 Likes

The defending champion is into the final 4 with a straight sets victory over Marton Fucsovics of Hungary: 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 over two hours and 17 minutes.

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic inches closer to his dream of joining Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal on a record 20 Grand Slam titles. :raised_hands:

10th Wimbledon semi-final.
41st Grand Slam semi-final.
100th match-win on grass.

10 Likes

Hubert Hurkacz knocks out his idol, eight-time champion Roger Federer, in straight sets 6-3, 7-6, 6-0 to advance to his first Grand Slam semi-final.

:poland: Hurkacz became the second Polish man in history to reach the semi-finals at a Grand Slam.

A proud emotional moment for Hurkacz!

It was not Federer’s day today. It just felt that he let go the match after the 2nd set. It’s the heaviest loss Federer has ever suffered at Wimbledon. The legend has entertained us for two decades and will forever remain the greatest of all time. :raised_hands:

18 Likes

Italian Matteo Berrettini powers into semi-finals

Matteo Berrettini became only the second Italian man to the Wimbledon semi-finals after powering past Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-3 5-7 7-5 6-3 on Wednesday.

9 Likes

Will Roger Federer play Wimbledon again?

Very emotional Roger Federer declares, “I really don’t know if that was the last time I’ll play Wimbledon…"

Federer, who turns 40 in August, carries hopes of making yet another appearance at the iconic tournament but remains “unsure” if it could happen again.

As quoted by BBC, the 20-time Grand Slam champion said, “Of course I would like to play it again but at my age, you never know what is around the corner. I will talk with my team and go from there, see what I need to do to get in better shape and be more competitive.”

Roger Federer Quarter-Final Press Conference | Wimbledon 2021

9 Likes

Day 10 Highlights - Ash Barty AND Karolina Pliskova into Finals

• World No. 1 Ashleigh Barty beat 2018 champion Angelique Kerber 6-3, 7-6 in the first final

• While Karolina Pliskova defeated 2nd seed Aryna Sabalenka 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 in the 2nd to set up the summit clash vs the Australian.

Final showdown at the All-England Tennis club this Saturday. Both ladies will be gunning for their first ever title at London’s famous grass court event.

11 Likes

ORDER OF PLAY – Friday JULY 9

Day-11 will see all 2 semi-finals of the Men’s Singles being played on the Centre Court and mixed doubles semi-finals match on the Centre Court. There won’t be any Women’s Singles match played with the Women’s Singles Final scheduled for tomorrow.

Djokovic will play 10th seed Denis Shapovalov today after the Canadian beat Russian 25th seed Karen Khachanov.

Djokovic is now two wins from a record-equalling 20th men’s major.

After winning the Australian Open and French Open titles already this year, another triumph at the All England Club will mean he equals the tally jointly held by Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

Nadal is not playing at Wimbledon this year, while Federer was beaten in straight sets in his quarter-final by Hubert Hurkacz, who will face Matteo Berrettini in the last four.

Italy’s Berrettini defeated Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-3 5-7 7-5 6-3 to reach his first Wimbledon semi-final.

23 Likes

BERRETTINI MAKES THE FINAL

Italian Matteo Berrettini beats Hubert Hurkacz 6-3 6-0 6-7 (3-7) 6-4. Matteo Berrettini is the first Italian man or woman to make a singles final at the Wimbledon Championships.

Previously, the 7th seed hadn’t gone past the 4th round before and now, he will face either Novak Djokovic or Denis Shapovalov in Sunday’s final on Centre Court. It will be the first Grand Slam final of his career too.

22 Likes

Very Impressive! Berrettini! :clap: :clap:

Hoping to see some great tennis on Sunday! :+1:

Berrettini :speaking_head:

"I have no words… really! Just thanks, it will take a couple of hours to understand what happened. I just know that I played a great match and that I’m really happy to be here. I enjoyed the crowd and my family are here, along with my whole team.

“I think that I didn’t dream about this [happening] because it was too much, you know? I’m just so happy, grazie.”

"I remember the first time that I stepped onto this court, two years’ ago against Roger [Federer], and it wasn’t the same performance! But, he’s just a great legend. I enjoyed it, even though I lost, and I think that experience helped me to be ready today. I’m grateful for everything that’s happening and that’s it!"

22 Likes

Djokovic beats Shapovalov to reach final

Defending champion Novak Djokovic beat Denis Shapovalov 7-6, 7-5, 7-5 in the second semifinal of the day to book a place in Sunday’s men’s singles final Italy’s Matteo Berrettini. This will be the 30th Grand Slam final for Djokovic.

8 Likes

Andy Lapthorne and David Wagner win quad wheelchair doubles title

After a two year wait for Wheelchair Tennis, David Wagner and Andy Lapthorne finally got their hands on the Quad Wheelchair Doubles title. :trophy: :clap: :clap:

Britain’s Andy Lapthorne won his second Wimbledon quad wheelchair doubles title as he and American partner David Wagner brilliantly saw off a fightback from Dylan Alcott and Sam Schroder.

Lapthorne claimed his 13th Grand Slam title overall and an 11th in doubles as he and Wagner triumphed 6-1 3-6 6-4.

E55v0guVUAAxo9k

21 Likes

Berrettini :vs: Djokovic for the Wimbledon title

:raised_hands: The current Grand Slam title count:

Roger Federer: 20
Rafael Nadal: 20
Novak Djokovic: 19

Venue: All England Club Date: 11 July Time: 14:00 BST / 18:30 IST

22 Likes

Djokovic :speaking_head: “To be honest what’s going on is quite obvious. We all see it. I have to play 90% of my matches with the crowd against me. I not only have to face my rival, but also the stands.”

Not sure why Djokovic is vilified!

Is it wrong to pursue your dream with passion, hard work and unfaltering determination to excel to reach the pinnacle?

I personally think there is lot to learn from Djokovic’s journey.

Here is what Shapovalov had to say :speaking_head:

“I’d be happy if Novak can be my mentor, that means he stopped playing (laughing). He told me a few words in the locker room, and he doesn’t have to do that, it means a lot to me, it is big for me.”

10 Likes

Top seed Barty faces Czech 8th seed Karolina Pliskova today

Venue: All England Club Date: 10 July Time: 14:00 BST / 18:30 IST

It is the first time since 1977 that both women are playing in a Wimbledon final for the first time.

:australia: Australia’s Ashleigh Barty says she “couldn’t be more rapt” to play for her first Wimbledon title on the 50th anniversary of her idol Evonne Goolagong Cawley’s maiden win.

Former world number one Pliskova is also competing in her second major final but, unlike Barty, she was beaten on the first occasion.

Five years after losing to Kerber at the US Open, she is still trying to shake off the unwanted tag as one of the best players yet to win a major.

22 Likes

‘Just play the ball’ - Navratilova’s advice to final debutants

With both women experiencing their maiden Wimbledon finals, nine-time champion Martina Navratilova says the key will be who “handles the occasion the better”.

"My advice to both players would be ‘just play the ball’. You’re playing the opponent, you’re not playing the Wimbledon final.

"Everyone gets nervous and everyone chokes, it’s how little you can choke, how well you can handle the nerves.

“The key is to admitting ‘OK, this is what I’m feeling now, what do I have to do to win this next point’ and bring it back to the tennis.”

“It’s a toss-up. I’m giving the slight edge to Pliskova, only because of the way she has been playing the last two weeks. But overall Barty is the better player.”

23 Likes

Ashleigh Barty is the new Ladies’ Singles Champion

World number one Barty became the first Australian woman to win the Wimbledon singles title for 41 years on Saturday when she defeated Czech Pliskova 6-3 6-7(4) 6-3 in the final.

The 25-year-old Barty, who won her maiden Grand Slam at Roland Garros in 2019, emulated her idol Evonne Goolagong who claimed the second of her All England Club titles in 1980.

12 Likes