Messi wins Ballon d'Or! Who can challenge his record in the current crop?

Messi becomes the first player in history to win 6 ballon d’or… Who can challenge his record in the current crop?

10 Likes

He never smiled while watching amazing goal he made but starts to smile when family video begins. :grinning:

5 Likes

Ronaldo obviously is the closest to challenge Messi’s record - he is only one away. Knowing Ronaldo’s determination, he will want to before he retires.

Looking at Lewandowski’s current outstanding form, he can be a strong contender for next year’s Ballon d’Or. Although time is against Lewandowski who is 31 years old now, who knows it could prove to be the prime years of his career and win several Ballon d’Or over the years.

Mbappe obviously has plenty of time to break the record, if he does. Then there is Bernardo Silva, van Dijk and others.

Honestly, Messi and Ronaldo are legends who have had stupendous performance over more than a decade and it will be difficult to challenge their record. Having said that, it’s great to see records broken and new records set. :v:

4 Likes

Chiellini: "Cristiano won the Champions League, [but I suppose] by that logic Van Dijk should have won it this year.

"Maybe last year Griezmann, Pogba or Mbappe should have won for doing extraordinary things at the World Cup.

“Modric made no sense.”

3 Likes

Giorgio Chiellini: "It’s okay that Messi has won the Ballon d’Or this year. The real theft was last year.

"Real Madrid decided that Cristiano should not win the Ballon d’Or.

"It was really strange.

4 Likes

If Ronaldo didnt deserve it last year how come you all saying Messi deserves to win this year.

3 Likes

Ronaldo is clearly out of touch. I doubt he can get his 6th? How do you feel about Felix, Halaand , Mbappe?

2 Likes

It would be stupid if Van Dijk won it and Ramos never did. Ramos was the best CB in the world for years and captained his team to 3 CL titles and his country to the WC and still didn’t win it.

3 Likes

there is a reason. If we remove the world cup years. There never has been a single year when any defensive midfielder or defeder won it for a long long time now. Ballon D’Or is decided by players and coaches and journalists around us. As as these people are mere fan they think like us.
When I say think like us i mean imagine this:
If a striker scores a good goal, we all remember it. Right? However, have you ever seen any two fans discussing how good an interception or how good a clearance was?
Therefore Ballon D’Or is and will always be a award for strikers.
Now lets come to Virgil Van Djik. The only reason there was a huge outcry for him to win were:
1.He belongs to Liverpool, a club well supported by the journalists and players around the world. Therefore, a lot of votes.
2. Never before in the history of transfers one club was changed so so much by just a single transfer

4 Likes

Hey…hey…don’t challenge the man! :grinning: He has exemplary grit and remarkable audacity to prove people wrong. I think, he will push himself to new heights and will sign off on a high note that generations will remember.

Only time will tell if Mbappe, Felix, Halaand and the likes can rise up to the level these legends have set. It could be pre-mature to compare them now to these legendary performances.

5 Likes

Possible… However I think messi has a better chance of winning a 7th ballon d’or thaan Ronaldo winning his 6th

2 Likes