Shun event importance

I liked PV Sindhu’s statement after she won the world championship gold she said “I treated the finals as just another match. I just wanted to go out there and give 100% . There was no ‘finals phobia or anything of that sort’.”

Infact this mindset is what we sports psychologists prescribe to the athletes. Don’t give too much importance to the event - focus on the process- give your best and leave the rest. Be prepared for any result that comes your way. The imp thing is to be in the present and play one ball at a time and think not too far ahead. This reduces the pre-match competitive anxiety and pressure.

8 Likes

That’s it! Anxiety & Pressure are the biggest factor affecting performance of the athlete. This doesn’t mean to take anything lightly, Just give your 100% to every ball/point/play and Matches/Trophies will take care of themselves. Recognizing event importance may create undue pressure.

6 Likes

Sindhu’s comment caught my attention too. Indeed a great mindset to be in and a much prescribed one.

Having said that, I do feel, is it easier said than done? Is it easier to say in hindsight…after the game is over? In this case, was it the earlier wins against No. 2 Tai Tzu in Quarter finals and No. 3 Chen Yu Fei in semi-final match, that boosted her confidence to face Okuhara in finals? Is the culmination of desired outcome a product of smaller milestones achieved, thereby giving the athlete the required confidence to play on the big stage?

Players playing at International level are obviously trained to handle pressure. So, I am wondering what are the techniques practiced day to day by these athletes to develop an indomitable spirit and stay focused.

@Viswanath Would be great if you can share some of the Techniques that a sports psychologist would work with athletes to avoid psychological distress.

5 Likes

If it would have been easy, every athlete could do it. That’s where your mental strength and stability comes in. Techniques would definitely help but you need to have something on which techniques can work.

2 Likes

@Yogesh : I presume, the ‘mind over body’ and sports psychology discussion is only relevant assuming all athletes who are competing are more or less on par when it comes to playing skills.

We recently saw this in the epic match between Federer and Djokovic at Wimbledon finals where both the Legends had an equal chance of lifting the Wimbledon trophy.

Holding everything else constant, it becomes a mind game where the one who has mastered the mind techniques would gain an upper hand. And I think this applies to not just International high profile competitions but these techniques would also apply to grass-root level tournaments like inter-house matches in school, district level or any other local competition.

6 Likes

Jay these are some of the things they can do-
They need to clear their mind and look at the situation positively, instead of seeing pressure as a threat they can see it as a challenge.
They need to talk to themselves positively to create a positive mindset, assuring themselves that they have the ability, to be hopeful and optimistic.
Pressure creates stress - which can bring about physiological and psychological changes- to control this they need to do deep abdominal brearhing frequently
Need to be in the present and focus on the process than on outcome
Most of the the time it might be fear of ‘losing’ they need to as themselves- “what if I lose…and if the event is a big one they need to tell themselves - " so what if this is the finals it is just another game for me. If they learn to say- So what and what if…then they can handle pressure
Instead of thinking too far ahead they have to focus on one ball/ shuttle at a time.
They have avoid overthinking and keep it simple
Overthinking leads to 'paralysis by analysis” and choking

8 Likes

Completely agreed .One at a time . Focus is important👍 . These days people gets distracted easily . getting influenced by others success and want everything at the same time.In reality things don’t work in that way.

Success is a process not an event

5 Likes

Well said Praveen The recent Federer Vs Sumeet Nagal match is an example. At the outset let’s congratulate him for taking a set of Roger Federer - a no mean achievement . Nagal admitted that after winning the set he lost his focus- he not clearly stated why he lost his focus . He made a point when he said he was not overwhelmed by the status of Federer.

5 Likes