Ravi Ashwin's run out: Was it disgraceful? Time to change the rules?

Judging by the replays Ashwin wasn’t waiting for Buttler to leave his crease before running him out.

In my opinion, it was quick thinking as opposed to cheating

Yes, it wasn’t in the spirit of the game but the law states it’s fair.

Lot of outrage from former players like Shane Warne etc. Do you think that the rule should be altered?

5 Likes

It’s well within the rule. The rule is there for a reason. In fact the batsman leaving the crease early should be called out for cheating. In the absence of run out provision the batsman would be halfway to the pitch, would it be fair?

5 Likes

The relevant IPL Playing Conditions state: “If the non-striker is out of his/her ground at any time from the moment the ball comes into play until the instant when the bowler would normally have been expected to release the ball, the non-striker is liable to be run out". I clearly don’t understand the plight of blaming Ashwin and terming his act “disgraceful” and specially by these Aussie players and English one’s who can get down to any sort of level, be it ball tampering or match fixing. This mankad act is well within the rules and Ashwin just followed it with the 3rd Umpire giving the final verdict. There has been many instances when this has happened in the past and has always evoked controversy. Either the ICC brings a clear cut rule to end this or let these critics who are now very vocal being biased keep their “spirit of game” to themselves and follow whats in the rule book.

4 Likes

Well Within the rules but not in the spirit of the game for sure. Personally I hated the gesture.

3 Likes

Completely agree. I dont get all the overreaction to be honest.

3 Likes

Agree. Fix the rules or just let it be.

3 Likes

Kohli’s funny reaction on Narine’s attempted Mankanding. :joy:

3 Likes