⚽ General Football News 2021-22 Season- Open Thread

Ajax director of football quits after sending ‘inappropriate messages to female colleagues’

"Unfortunately, I didn’t realise that I was crossing the line with this, but that was made clear to me in recent days. I suddenly felt enormous pressure. I apologise.

"Certainly for someone in my position, this behaviour is unacceptable. I now see that too. But it is too late. I see no other option but to leave Ajax.

“This also has a major impact on my private situation. That is why I ask everyone to leave me and my family alone.” says former Arsenal, Barcelona and Ajax winger.

14 Likes

The Story of Edouard Mendy:

2014: Unemployed
2015: Considers quitting football
2016: Signs for Ligue 2 for Reims
2018: Promoted to Ligue 1
2020: Signs for Chelsea
2021: Wins the Champions League
2022: Wins FIFA ‘The Best’ Goalkeeper
2022: Wins Africa Cup of Nations

:senegal::trophy:

14 Likes

Aliou Cissé:

◉ Captained :senegal: to their first-ever AFCON final in 2002

◉ Captained :senegal: to the World Cup QFs in 2002, no African side has gone further

◉ Coached :senegal: to their second AFCON final in 2019

◉ Coached :senegal: to their first-ever AFCON title in 2022

13 Likes

What an incredible year it’s been for Edouard Mendy :trophy:

Champions League :white_check_mark:
UEFA Super Cup :white_check_mark:
Africa Cup of Nations :white_check_mark:
UCL Goalkeeper of the Season :white_check_mark:
The Best FIFA Goalkeeper :white_check_mark:
Afcon Best Goalkeeper :white_check_mark:

:camera: @edou_mendy

15 Likes

Continental Champions :muscle:t2::medal_military:

15 Likes

Former Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele ‘retires from football aged just 34’

Former Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele appears to have retired from football aged just 34, with reports claiming that he has decided to reject a contract extension from Chinese club Guangzhou FC.

There has been no formal announcement from the player or his camp, but HLN in Belgium have said that Dembele has returned home to Antwerp with his young children, and plans to spend more time with them.

13 Likes

I WILL NOT RETURN TO THE NATIONAL TEAM(ZIYECH)
After being left out of the Moroccan squad in the just concluded AFCON, ziyech announce his retirement from international football…

9 Likes

Only three teenagers have more assists than Calvin Ramsay this season:
:de: Florian Wirtz
:czech_republic: Adam Hlozek
:england: Jude Bellingham

No wonder clubs are queuing up for the Scottish wonderkid :star_struck:

#NXGN | By Robin Bairner

10 Likes

No matter how hard you try, stopping Lionel Messi is near-impossible :laughing:

20 Likes

Gianluigi Buffon is the first goalkeeper in history to reach 500 clean sheets :clap:

17 Likes

Cristiano Ronaldo has DOUBLE the Instagram followers of every Premier League club combined :exploding_head:

17 Likes

When Dortmund had Auba, Dembele and Isak at their disposal :star_struck:

10 Likes

Hakim Ziyech has announced his retirement from international football with Morocco aged just 28.

14 Likes

Was Zlatan at 36 a better signing for Man United than Ronaldo at 36? :thinking:

18 Likes

Mendy says Gabaski should have won the best goalkeeper award at AFCON over him :handshake:

18 Likes

𝐍𝐞𝐲𝐦𝐚𝐫 moved to PSG with dreams of winning the Ballon d’Or :broken_heart:

2017: 3rd
2018: 12th
2019: Not ranked
2021: 16th

19 Likes

Mesut Özil is paying for surgeries of 1,000 poor children in need and feeding over 100,000 homeless people around the globe through his charity work. Massive respect. Incredible gesture.

17 Likes

Videos emerged of Manchester City players having a night out.

Pep’s invite got lost in the mail :sob:

14 Likes

During his treatment for concussion at a hospital in Cameroon, Sadio Mané paid the bill for a family with a child with life-threatening injuries due to them not being able to afford it, per Équinoxe Tv :heart:

15 Likes

𝐏𝐢𝐭𝐬𝐨 𝐚𝐢𝐦𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 :star_struck::south_africa:

the Egyptian giants take on the Brazilian side Palmeiras in the semi-final of the 2021 FIFA Club World Cup today!

Should Mosimane’s charges overcome Palmeiras, they will meet either Chelsea or Al Hilal in the final, while they would meet the loser of that match in the third-place play-off if they fail to defeat their South American opponents.
#clubworldcup

FB_IMG_16443562130469828

19 Likes