⚽ General Football News 2021-22 Season- Open Thread

The top scoring teams in Europe’s top 5 leagues this season:

:one: Bayern Munich: 33 goals
:two: Liverpool: 27 goals
:three: Borussia Dortmund: 25 goals

11 Likes

Scoring an overhead kick is an art and Zlatan Ibrahimovic is an artist Artist palette

𝘿𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙕𝙡𝙖𝙩𝙖𝙣 :soccer:

8 Likes

Ronaldo’s family is growing! He and his partner Georgina Rodriguez have announced they are expecting twins :baby::baby:

8 Likes

Philippe Coutinho has been called up to the latest Brazil squad for the first time in a year :brazil:

8 Likes

Sergi Barjuan settling into life as Barcelona interim manager :large_blue_circle::red_circle:

6 Likes

PSG v Lille.

A chance for Lionel Messi to end his worst start to a league season in 16 years :eyes:

10 Likes

Cristiano Ronaldo’s photo announcing his twins is now the most-liked Instagram post by an athlete with 27.1M and counting :chart_with_upwards_trend:

9 Likes

Monterrey defeated Club America 1-0 to win their fourth CONCACAF Champions League title in the last 10 years :trophy:

16 Likes

Maradona would have turned 61 today. Rest in peace :blue_heart:

17 Likes

Zlatan said without him, PSG wouldn’t be where they are today :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

Owen Hargreaves believes Marcus Rashford was ‘fuming’ after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer left him out of the starting XI for the trip to Tottenham on Saturday.

The England international came off the bench with just over 20 minutes to go to replace Cristiano Ronaldo in the 3-0 win, before scoring his side’s third goal with a composed finish.

11 Likes

Paris Saint-Germain forward Lionel Messi has claimed that he is open to the idea of returning to Barcelona as a technical secretary after hanging up his boots.

The Argentine star expressed his intention to be part of the club’s senior management in the future and reiterated his affection for the Blaugrana just a few months after parting ways with the Catalans.

17 Likes

Pogba puzzle is Man Utd greatest failure & they’re at fault for inconsistency

Paul Scholes’ recent dissection of Manchester United’s performances was largely intelligent. Amid the excitement of United’s comeback win against Atalanta in the Champions League, it was Scholes who predicted trouble ahead against Liverpool.

However, his comments about Paul Pogba seem less sure-footed. After Pogba’s sending-off in the Liverpool game, Scholes suggested his tackle on Naby Keita had been ‘ridiculous’ and accused the Frenchman of causing ‘mayhem over the last couple of years’.

I am not sure how much of that is true. Pogba was over the ball on Keita and had to go. However, there was no malice. He was trying to win the ball. He missed. It happens.

16 Likes

Man United’s Solskjaer still in a job due to Woodward reluctance to sack him

An interesting dynamic that has not been explored during the crisis at Manchester United has been the impact of executive vice chairman Ed Woodward’s impending departure from Old Trafford.

While many outsiders were left scratching their heads at the failure to fire Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after last week’s 5-0 trouncing by Liverpool, some insiders believe Woodward will be reluctant to get rid of the Norwegian before he leaves as it would provide a damning final comment on his time in charge.

16 Likes

:rotating_light:DID YOU KNOW: If Frank Lampard stopped scoring in 2006, he would still have more career goals and assists than Xavi and Iniesta combined. :clap::blue_heart:

16 Likes

Radamel Falcao on facing José Giménez:

“He drove me crazy by asking me questions all game. He asked me what car I had, then why the Ecuador, Venezuela and Colombia flags had the same colours and whether September was written with a ‘p’ or without. I missed a chance in the end.”

14 Likes

Rashford hits back at Hargreaves’ claim he was ‘fuming’ over being benched

Marcus Rashford has slammed claims made by Owen Hargreaves that his goal celebration for Manchester United at Tottenham was aimed in frustration at Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for not starting him.

The England international broke through in the dying minutes to seal a 3-0 victory for Solskjaer’s side to ease the pressure on the under-fire Norwegian after last week’s thrashing by Liverpool.

Rashford went to celebrate in front of the Red Devils supporters and appeared subdued before passionately shouting in front of the visiting fans, with Hargreaves claiming that Solskjaer not starting the 23-year-old was affecting his mood.

14 Likes

OFFICIAL: Tottenham sack Nuno after only 4 months

The Club Announcement:

The Club can today announce that Nuno Espírito Santo and his coaching staff Ian Cathro, Rui Barbosa and Antonio Dias have been relieved of their duties.

Fabio Paratici, Managing Director, Football, said: "I know how much Nuno and his coaching staff wanted to succeed and I regret that we have had to take this decision.

16 Likes

Fabio Paratici ‘STORMED out of his seat’ during Tottenham’s loss to Man United

Tottenham director of football Fabio Paratici was ‘furious’ during the team’s woeful 3-0 loss to Manchester United, storming out of his seat at the club’s stadium and failing to return, according to reports.

The dismal result proved to be the final straw for coach Nuno Espirito Santo, who was sacked on Monday morning after just four months following a string of concerning performances - with fans calling for the Portuguese to be axed.

13 Likes

Ronaldo gives hope to Solskjaer’s revolution: The old guard carried the team

Cristiano Ronaldo played an important role for Manchester United against Tottenham, in a game that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had to win. And he did win, spelling the end of Nuno Espirito Santo at Spurs in the process.

Solskjaer took some risks, going with three centre-backs and shifting away from playing with any wingers. Instead, Edinson Cavani and Cristiano Ronaldo both started in attack.

The Norwegian was under immense pressure after the 5-0 hammering against Liverpool, but led United to a 3-0 win over Spurs.

14 Likes