⚽ General Football News - 2020-21 Season Open Thread

Manuel Neuer has been named German footballer of the year :no_entry_sign:

8 Likes

#on this day in 2006
Alessandro Del Piero become Juventus record goalscorer.

6 Likes

Alfie Devine
16 years and 163 days old
Tottenham’s youngest ever player
Tottenham’s youngest ever goalscorer

7 Likes

Ronaldo equals Josef Bican’s record as joint topscorer in football history

After scoring Juventus’ third goal in the match against Sassuolo on Sunday, Cristiano Ronaldo became the joint top scorer for official goals in football history.

Cristiano Ronaldo scored the third goal in Juventus’ 3-1 win over Sassuolo on Sunday and with that he became the joint-highest scorer for club and country in the history of the game. With 759 career goals, Ronaldo equalled Josef Bican, the Austrian-Czech striker who played between 1931 and 1955.

7 Likes

Son Heung-min has been outperforming Lionel Messi & Cristiano Ronaldo since 2016

Forget Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Robert Lewandowski. Tottenham’s Son Heung-min has delivered a statistical anomaly that sets him out as bar far the deadliest finisher in Europe.

The way Son is performing in comparison to his expected goals (xG) is simply remarkable and eclipses all of football’s top marksmen since 2016.

Perceived wisdom is that eventually, players and teams performing above or below their xG will eventually turn the tide and the score will be about average, regressing to the mean.

7 Likes

Interesting way to deduce perceived wisdom with regards to deviation to xG regressing to the mean.

7 Likes

:nigeria:Ndidi :thought_balloon: On Life Hustling:

“I did different things. Sometimes, I hawked pepper, sold water (sachet), tomatoes and fruits for my mother.

"But I became famous for selling groundnuts. They call me the groundnut boy.

“I did all these things to support my mother.”

10 Likes

The 2007/08 UEFA awards:

Chelsea’s Frank Lampard: Best midfielder
Chelsea’s John Terry: Best defender
Chelsea’s Petr Čech: Best goalkeeper

What a pic :heart_eyes:

12 Likes

The best playmakers of last decade, according to IFFHS :dart:

12 Likes

Diego Simeone has been voted the best men’s coach of the past decade by the IFFHS🥇

10 Likes

In 2016, Chapecoense were on a flight to a game when a crash killed 71 of the 77 people on board.

The team were relegated in 2019 to the second tier of Brazilian football.

On Tuesday, they won promotion back to the top division.

12 Likes

Mamadou Sakho: “I lost my father when I was 13. Soon I had to become a man. For me, it wasn’t an option to play football, it was a must. Someone asked me if it was difficult to be PSG captain at 17, for me the hardest thing was to become captain of my family at 13.”

ErlzI4aWMAEr2aQ

11 Likes

Mamadou Sakho- Great respect! :raised_hands:

What an inspiring story! Success is measured by how high you bounce back when all seems lost after you hit the bottom.

13 Likes

Barcelona REJECTED the chance to sign Cristiano Ronaldo for £15m in 2003

Barcelona presidential candidate Joan Laporta has fascinatingly revealed how the club turned down the chance to sign Cristiano Ronaldo for just £15million in 2003

10 Likes

N’Golo Kante: “When I was younger I played on the wing. It was only when I came to England & played for Leicester they used to always say to me ‘tackle tackle tackle’. I’m not naturally defensive. When people ask me about my game under Sarri I always say I had so much fun."

7 Likes

Karim Benzema made his senior debut for Lyon on this day in 2005. Since then:

—355 goals in 764 games

—Real Madrid’s fifth-top scorer and all-time leading assist provider

—25 trophies including four Champions Leagues

10 Likes

OFFICIAL: Derby County have confirmed Wayne Rooney has been appointed as permanent manager on a two-and-half-year until the summer of 2023.

10 Likes

BREAKING: Mauricio Pochettino has tested positive for coronavirus, Paris Saint-Germain have announced.

11 Likes

OFFICIAL: Derby County appoint Wayne Rooney as the permanent manager

Derby County confirm the appointment of Wayne Rooney as the club’s new manager.

11 Likes

OFFICIAL: Bruno Fernandes wins Premier League’s Player of the Month for December

OFFICIAL: Bruno Fernandes wins Premier League’s Player of Month for December.

8 Likes