Cricket Breaking News & Updates - General Discussion Thread for 2022

:india: :vs: :south_africa:

KL Rahul is named the captain for the South Africa series, as Umran Malik and Arshdeep Singh receive maiden call-ups.

Rohit Sharma, the designated all-format captain, Virat Kohli and Jasprit Bumrah are among the senior players to be rested for India’s five-match T20I series at home against South Africa next month.

Also missing from the squad are Deepak Chahar, Ravindra Jadeja and Suryakumar Yadav, who are all carrying injuries.

11 Likes

Roger Binny Becomes New BCCI President

Roger Binny is named as the 36th president of the BCCI, replaces former India captain Sourav Ganguly.

His appointment was announced at the BCCI AGM in Mumbai. At 67, Binny is eligible for one term - that is, three years - as BCCI president, keeping in mind the age cap of 70 meant for administrators and office bearers in the BCCI constitution.

Part of Kapil Dev’s World Cup-winning Indian team of 1983, where he was the tournament’s highest wicket-taker, Binny moved into coaching, served as a national selector, and also as Karnataka State Cricket Association administrator before becoming the BCCI chief.

13 Likes

In the 2022 AGM BCCI approved the conducting of a Women’s IPL.

12 Likes

Jay Shah, BCCI Secretary :speaking_head:

"I’m pleased to announce BCCI’s first step towards tackling discrimination. We are implementing pay equity policy for our contracted BCCI Women cricketers. The match fee for both Men and Women Cricketers will be same as we move into a new era of gender equality in :india: Cricket.

The BCCI Women cricketers will be paid the same match fee as their male counterparts. Test (INR 15 lakhs), ODI (INR 6 lakhs), T20I (INR 3 lakhs). Pay equity was my commitment to our women cricketers and I thank the Apex Council for their support. Jai Hind :india:"

12 Likes

Rohit Sharma, Dinesh Karthik, R Ashwin Could Say Goodbye To T20Is; You May See Virat Kohli In the 2024 T20 WC – Monty Panesar

:speaking_head: Speaking to Times of India, Panesar said :
“India disappointed everyone (with the way they lost in the semifinal), and I think there are some retirements coming up.”

Former England spinner Monty Panesar feels that among senior India players only Virat Kohli is one, who could be part of India’s T20 World Cup 2024 squad because of his incredible fitness. He added that he doesn’t see Rohit, Karthik and Ashwin being anywhere near India’s T20 World Cup 2024 squad.

“Rohit (Sharma), Dinesh Karthik and R Ashwin are the top names who could say goodbye to T20I cricket. The team management will surely have a meeting with these guys and will ask them about their plans…It’s time these players make way for young players”, he said.

“Virat is in great form. He is the fittest among all the Indian players. Age is just a number for Virat considering his super fitness. You may see him in the 2024 T20 World Cup. I am not seeing Rohit being part of that tournament, DK and Ashwin too (may not be there). There could be more players (considering T20I retirement), but these three, I think, will leave T20Is and focus on Tests and ODIs”, he further added.

11 Likes