⚽️ 2023/24 Season - General Football News - Open Thread

A 16-year-old Maradona made his Argentina debut 47 years ago.

He went on to inspire a generation :argentina:

7 Likes

SPAIN WIN THE UEFA WOMEN’S NATIONS LEAGUE :es::trophy:

We’re witnessing the golden era of Spanish women’s football :clap:

7 Likes

Erling Haaland is the FIRST player to score 5+ goals in a Champions League match AND 5+ goals in a FA Cup match.

He’s still only 23 years old :sob:

(h/t Squawka Football)

6 Likes

Celebrating 120 years of Benfica. A club that has witnessed endless talent :eagle::red_circle:

7 Likes

It’s been eight years since Louis van Gaal’s iconic touchline dive at Old Trafford :sob:

7 Likes

:rotating_light: 𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚: Paul Pogba has been suspended from football for FOUR years for doping.

[Source: @SportRepubblica]

10 Likes

:rotating_light: It will be 2028 before Paul Pogba plays professional football again. :exploding_head:

8 Likes

At 30 years old, Paul Pogba has been banned for four years for using a performance-enhancing drug.

His career by numbers so far:

◉ 514 games
◉ 84 goals
◉ 10x club trophies
◉ 1x World Cup
◉ 1x Nations League
◎ 2013 Golden Boy
◎ 2014 World Cup Young Player of the Tournament
◎ 2015 FIFPro World 11

9 Likes

:rotating_light: Franck Haise appears in a wider list, established by data, of possible candidates to replace Jürgen Klopp at Liverpool! :fr:

Xabi Alonso is still the number one target but Liverpool also have Ruben Amorim, Julian Nagelsmann, Roberto De Zerbi and Eddie Howe on the list.

(Source: @TheAthleticFC)

10 Likes

:rotating_light: Brahim Diaz is very close to choosing the Moroccan selection for his international career. :morocco::lion:

He could even be present in Walid Regragui’s next squad. :scroll:

[Source: @Tahamurcielago]

8 Likes

A reminder that Pogba and Kante never lost a game for France when they both started together :handshake::fr:

14 Likes

“As a professional athlete I would never do anything to enhance my performance by using banned substances and have never disrespected or cheated fellow athletes and supporters of any of the teams I have played for, or against.”

Paul Pogba addressed his ban from football for a doping offense and says he will appeal the decision before the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

More: Juventus star Paul Pogba handed four-year ban for doping - ESPN

14 Likes

:rotating_light: Brahim Diaz will play for Morocco! :morocco:

The Real Madrid player is finalising the administrative procedures to be selected. :memo:

Walid Regragui presented him with a project putting him at the centre of the Moroccan national set-up. :soon:

(Source: @diarioas )

15 Likes

It’s now been 16 years since Tottenham last won a trophy :trophy::x:

14 Likes

Kevin De Bruyne has four assists in his last three matches against Manchester United :dart:

Man City’s next match: Manchester United :eyes:

14 Likes

Bruno Fernandes has created more chances than any other player in the Premier League since his Manchester United debut in 2020 :magic_wand::clap:

14 Likes

16 years ago, Ronaldinho scored the final of his 96 goals for Barcelona.

96 moments of magic :call_me_hand:

14 Likes

Andrés Iniesta has completed 1000 career games :clap:

He’s never received a red card :flushed:

WHAT A PLAYER :tophat:

14 Likes

Georgina Rodríguez took part in the Paris Fashion Week parade wearing a dress based on Cristiano Ronaldo’s iconic Manchester United No. 7 shirt.

The dress is part of Vetement’s Fall 2024 collection featuring a message which appeared to be handwritten by Ronaldo, saying “For the love of my life Gio x Vetements” on the back :heart:

13 Likes

Marcelo has now won an unbelievable 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄 career trophies after winning the Recopa Sudamericana with Fluminense.

That includes: 6x LALIGA, 5x Champions League, and 4x FIFA Club World Cup.

One of the all-time greats :brazil:

13 Likes