Which were the most under-appreciated innings of the 2019 World Cup?

To start off this conversation, it suffices to say that the just-concluded World Cup was a treasure trove of great batsmanship. We saw those great hundreds from Rohit Sharma and so many of English players- including Bairstow, Morgan, Root and Roy among the few.

Their handy skills with the bat hung out their opponents to dry.

But was it all? What about other knocks that weren’t perhaps highly rated but were from the top drawer?

I’d reckon, personally, Faf du Plessis’ 100 against Australia in South Africa’s final league game was a top knock. He was a fine balance of aggression and defensive play.

What do you reckon?

1 Like

Carlos Brathwaith’s 100 against New Zealand. If Boult would have dropped that catch or touched the ropes like he did against England, New Zealand would’t even qualify for the semis. It was a blistering knock from the towering giant but unfortunately he couldn’t convert that into a win.

2 Likes

Agree with @Yash . To me the most memorable match was when Carlos Brathwaite almost pulled off a miraculous victory but when WI lost to the catch near the boundary by Trent Boult.

It was equally heart-warming to see the sportsmanship displayed by Kane Williamson and New Zealand players when they gathered around Brathwaite to console him and appreciate his stupendous effort in pulling through a narrowly missed crucial victory.

2 Likes

Agree. This man just keeps himself finding in such situations and even more eerily keeps finding something within to light up such matches.

A maverick effort ending in tragic end. A thing folklore are made of. I still can’t forget seeing sunken on ground. Not being able to understand what more he could have been able to do to win!

2 Likes

Morgan’s 18 sixes, Windies bundling out Pakistan for 102, Shami and Boult’s hat tricks and not to forget Shikhar Dhawan’s hundred in spite of having a broken thumb.

2 Likes