"The 2011 Cricket World Cup final was fixed." What do you think of Aluthgamage's allegations?

On April 2, 2011, India had won their 2nd ODI World Cup title after beating Sri Lanka in the World Cup finals.
Batting first, Sri Lanka had posted a commanding total of 274/6 in 50 overs with Mahela Jayawardene (103*) slamming an unbeaten ton. Chasing the target, Gambhir (97) and Dhoni (91*) helped the team win the title with 10 balls to spare.

However, after all these years Former Sri Lanka sports minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage has created a storm saying the game, played in Mumbai, was fixed while stressing the players were not involved.“The 2011 Cricket World Cup final was fixed. I stand by what I say. It took place when I was the minister of sports,” Aluthgamage told in an interview with local TV channel.

Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene, who were part of the Sri Lankan side in that game have brushed off these claims.

De Silva, former Chairman of Selectors of SLC called those allegations ‘lies’ but - “I request everyone, ICC, BCCI, and SLC to investigate this immediately,” I think in the interest of Sachin and the millions of cricket fans across India, it’s the duty of the Indian government and their cricket board to initiate an impartial inquiry to see whether they have won a fixed World Cup."

What do you all think of these allegations and Why now??

20 Likes

May be the blabbering of a has been.

In modern times it is difficult to fix a single match let alone an entire high profile tournament as ICC WC. Surveillance and monitoring is very strict. And think of coordination and planning required, Involvement of amount of players required, It’s almost crazy to think that such an event can be fixed.

Even fixing a match would be very difficult. AFAIK, Only spot fixing looks somewhat feasible with involvement of a single player.

We insult the toils of players like Gauti, Yuvi, Sanga, Mahela and all by thinking about things like this. Their efforts deserve better.

8 Likes

It was their government, there authority, they were holding the ministry. If he knew this ge would have took it out long before. Why he says this now? Is he also a part of this or is this yet another shitty political game. Anyway this man is disgusting

7 Likes

Aravinda de Silva, who was the chief selector of Sri Lankan Cricket during the 2011 World Cup has request everyone, ICC, BCCI, and SLC to investigate this immediately. It is not a petty allegation for political gains but also a black mark on the host country, India. Apparently the Sri Lankan parliamentary elections are around the corner and that is how old graves are being dug to stay in the limelight.

5 Likes

2017,Former Sri Lanka skipper Arjuna Ranatunga demanded an investigation into the country’s 2011 World Cup final defeat by India amid allegations of match fixing.

Ranatunga, 53, in a video posted on his Facebook page, said he was shocked by Sri Lanka’s six-wicket defeat in the final at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.

“I was also in India giving commentaries at the time. When we lost, I was distressed and I had a doubt," Ranatunga said. “We must investigate what happened to Sri Lanka at the 2011 World Cup final."

“I cannot reveal everything now, but one day I will. There must be an inquiry."

8 Likes

The torch bearers of Sri Lankan cricket, Sangakkara (who was the captain), Jayawardene (who was the vice-captain), Aravinda de Silva (who was the chief selector) and Upul Tharanga have all been summoned to appear before a special investigations unit set up by Sri Lanka’s Sports Ministry after the allegations were made by Mahindananda Aluthgamage.

8 Likes

Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene were grilled for over five hours by the police after country’s former sports minister Mahinanda Aluthgamage’s claimed of fixing in the game in 2011 World Cup final. It is sad to see cricket heroes being harassed.

7 Likes

Sri Lanka drops WC cricket fixing probe for lack of evidence. The investigation was officially closed on Friday.

Sri Lankan police on Friday dropped a criminal investigation into the 2011 cricket World Cup final, saying they found no evidence of match-fixing by players to let their Indian opponents win.

Former chief selector Aravinda de Silva, and the team’s skipper Kumar Sangakkara and opening batsman Upul Tharanga were questioned this week over suspicions that have dogged the match for years.

“We are satisfied with their explanation,” a top police official said. “The inquiry is now closed. They had reasonable explanations about the changes that were made to the final squad.We found no evidence of any wrongdoing.”

8 Likes