Tennis star Maria Sharapova announces retirement

“Tennis—I’m Saying Goodbye.” After 28 Years and 5 Grand Slams, Maria Sharapova Steps Away From The Game.

Over the last two decades, Former No. 1 player became one of the most globally recognizable athletes of the 21st century.
Despite her recent poor form, Sharapova will go down in history as one of the greatest tennis players. She will be remembered as a fighter, a fierce competitor, and a person who kept defying boundaries despite repeated failures, injuries and controversies.

18 Likes

12 Likes

Class from Novak Djokovic :clap:

The World No.1 pays tribute to Maria Sharapova.

10 Likes

Maria Sharapova : “Tennis showed me the world—and it showed me what I was made of. It’s how I tested myself and how I measured my growth. And so in whatever I might choose for my next chapter, my next mountain, I’ll still be pushing. I’ll still be climbing. I’ll still be growing.”

All the Best Champ! :clap::+1:

11 Likes

Maria such a heartbreaking news but still, looking all over your career I understand that it is about the time to say goodbye! You are a true champion with a phenomenal career. You have been an inspiration to millions throughout the world. We loved, love and will keep loving you forever! We used to wake up early or stay awake late to watch you playing Live on TV!

Good luck for your next chapter of life!!

11 Likes

Sharapova had a remarkable journey of records and achievements.

She has a total of 36 WTA singles titles. This includes 5 grand slams, 6 WTA Tier 1 singles titles, 3 WTA Premier Mandatory singles titles and 5 WTA Premier 5 singles titles.

Grand Slam Wins

2004 Wimbledon winner - 17 year old Sharapova was the third-youngest player to conquer the All England Club’s hallowed grass courts.

2006 - US Open Champion

2008 - Australian Open Champion

2012 & 2014 French Open Titles

Maria has made a total of 10 finals appearances in grand slams. She had lost out in the finals of the Australian Open three times- in 2007, 2012 and 2015. Sharapova was the Wimbledon finalist in 2011 and French Open finalist in 2014.

In addition to this, Maria was the silver medallist at the 2012 London Olympics.

Sharapova became the world No. 1 for the first time on 22 August 2005, at the age of 18, becoming the first Russian female tennis player to top the singles rankings, and last held the ranking for a 5th time for four weeks from 11 June 2012, to 8 July 2012.

Congratulations on an amazing journey and an incredible career. We will miss you on court!

14 Likes

She’s a sexy 6ft 2in fashion diva who’s tougher than most men on the court. She is known for her fierce, aggressive form and her unflinching, almost unnatural focus.

Her iron will and sheer determination won her Wimbledon at 17 and 4 more Grand Slams later. She is an inspiration and will always be counted among the greatest tennis players.

12 Likes

Unstoppable Maria Sharapova - she will forever be missed on the courts!

8 Likes

What’s better: Speed or Instinct? Who’s better: Novak Djokovic or Maria Sharapova?
The Challenge! :raised_hands::sweat_smile:

10 Likes

My inspiration! :raised_hands:

10 Likes