Shubhman Gill or rohit sharma. Who should open the innings in tests against South Africa?

Shubhman Gill finally got his Test call. He has been one of the highest rated Indian players since the u-19 World Cup last year. However, selectors have hinted that Rohit sharma will open the innings. Who do you think in your opinion should open the innings? Gill or rohit?

6 Likes

Going for Rohit will be a step backwards. Gill all the way.

Priyank Panchal and Abhmanyu Easwaran are also a good prospectus. Faiz fazal is also doing good if we need experienced one.

And don’t forget, Prithvi Shaw will be back soon.

P. S. Shaw, Priyank, Mayank, Easwaran should be in opener Pool, Gill should be moved when Shaw is back and groomed for middle order.

4 Likes

According to me Rohit Sharma will open the innings with Mayank Agarwal. As MSK Prasad mentioned in the press conference that the selection committee wants to give Rohit Sharma an opportunity to make a test comeback after repeated failures in the past. But we know how Rohit Sharma has matured as a player over the years. Specially since 2018. He is in his prime form in ODI’s & t20.

India, despite being the top ranked team have struggled with opening pairs. Since 2018 India have tried out seven openers in Tests - KL Rahul, Murli Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Parthiv patel, Hanuma Vihari, Prithvi Shaw and Mayank Agarwal. So it’s high time the team experiments with an experienced player like Rohit Sharma and hopes he stands up for the situation.

Gill earning his test call would be under serious pressure if he is asked to open the innings. I don’t doubt his talent but let him watch a few games and take time to settle down is all I think. If selected in the playing 11 he’ll make the middle order even stronger as Ajinkya Rahane and Hanuma Vihari look solid in the middle order.

4 Likes

Agreed. Gill would be the perfect number 4 in all the formats. In tests maybe Gill and shaw can open the innings. Going to Rohit would no doubt would be a step backwards

2 Likes

Ro hit Sharma
His record against the fast bowlers has been remarkable. He loves the ball coming onto the bat quickly. Where fast bowlers still dominate this era of Test cricket, he would be a precious asset to the Indian Cricket team.

4 Likes

Mr. Hit Man should open the innings with Mayank in test against SA. Rohit has a great technique and a great timer of the ball. He would fit into any role as a batsman but only problem with him is fitness. He is not as fit as other players. I think rohit sharma should work on his fitness to play Test Cricket.

3 Likes

Playing fast bowlers is more about playing swing and seam movement rather than playing speed.

Rohit may still succeed but it’s a step backwards.

P.S. I wish half of the efforts being put to get Rohit In test team were made to put Pujara in ODI team.

2 Likes

And what difference would that make? Where would you want Pujara to bat in ODI? He is meant to play in test and ODI and t20 are not his piece of cake at all.

2 Likes

Shubman Gill & Karun Nair have good outings against SA A.