Should Supreme Court amend BCCI's constitution to extend Ganguly's tenure?

Ganguly and Shah were elected unopposed as office-bearers last October. Shah’s tenure ended in May, while Ganguly’s term would finish on July 27.

As per the present BCCI constitution, Shah should have quit by now, while Ganguly’s tenure is supposed to end next week.

BCCI has filed a petition to Supreme Court to extend Shah & Ganguly’s tenure till 2025.

The SC on Wednesday agreed to hear the BCCI plea after two weeks.

Should SC amend BCCI’s constitution to extend Shah & Ganguly’s tenure till 2025?

8 Likes

According to the BCCI’s constitution, a cooling-off period of 3 years is mandatory after serving for 6 years as an office-bearer in either a state association or the Board. Ganguly and Shah took charge of the BCCI last October with only 9 months left for their cumulative 6 years in the state and national unit to get completed.

I think the period of 9 months was not enough from the start to make any reforms. Ganguly and Shah are needed for the board’s stability and to bring any change.

6 Likes

They are big bulls and game changers for BCCI and BCCI needs them. Their love and passion for the game is the key factor. I hope Supreme Court will pass the positive judgement.

7 Likes

After a short hearing yesterday, the Supreme Court of India said it will take up the matter again in two weeks’ time. It has been listed “tentatively” for August 17.

6 Likes

“I have always maintained that Sourav Ganguly is the best man to lead BCCI. I believe Dada and Jay Shah should get a full term to again stabilise BCCI,” Verma told PTI .
“Therefore, on behalf of CAB, I will not have an objection if Dada is allowed to continue as BCCI president. Out of his nine months, four months have already been lost due to coronavirus and any administrator needs time to implement plans and policies,” he added.

Verma is Secretary of Cricket Association of Bihar and is the original petitioner in the 2013 IPL spot-fixing scandal, which led to the apex court forming the Lodha Panel, which recommended sweeping constitutional reforms in the world’s richest cricket board.

5 Likes

As per the current constitution, an office-bearer who has served two three-year terms, either at the BCCI or at the state association, goes into a compulsory three-year cooling-off period.But after hearing plea if SC decides to extend the contract till 2025 then it would be great as Sourav Ganguly has done nice job in his tenure as BCCI president. Indian cricket team played their first day-night test match under his presidendial reign.

6 Likes