Roger Federer: One of the top 5 athletes of all time?

Four Miami Open titles. 28 Masters titles. 101 titles overall.

There is no doubt that he is the best Tennis player of our time. Is he one of the top 5 athletes of all time as well?

Who would make your top 5 list?

6 Likes

Definitely for me. Without a single doubt. Also it is almost impossible to make a top 5 list. I mean how do you chose if team sports should be considered or not and what should be the ideal sports to be considered but still i had to chose 5 all time great athletes my choice will be:

1. Michael Phelps
  2. Usain Bolt
  3. Jesse Owens (never saw him play but the legend says he was unstoppable. Also his victory was a big hit to the racism that prevailed during that time)
  4. Dhyanchand : again never saw him play but his legends and his berlin performance as depicted in the books is enough to gurantee him a place in top 5.
  5. Roger Federer / tiger woods / rafael nadal / cr7 / messi / michael schumaker : well as i said a top 5 list would be very difficult to make so i didn’t know who to stuff in on 5th, so added all the people i feel deserved a place apart from the cricketing world…
5 Likes

Being a Tennis enthusiast and a player, i’ve grown watching Roger Federer. For his age the game and records he is breaking is something beyond a normal sportsman can do. For me he definitely comes in the list of Top or probably bags the 2nd position after Messi!

5 Likes

Roger is a GOAT, but all time top five will be a squeeze.

Sir Steve Redgrave, Martina Navratilova, Pele/Maradona, Dhyanchand, Tiger Woods, Mark Phelps, Michael Jordan, Jese Owens all dominated their times. ANd we have vast history in variety of spports, any list 5 will be unjust to a few let outs. A 25 list may be a bit more inclusive.

4 Likes

It is quite difficult to build up a list of top-rankers across the globe since each legendary player hails from a different sport. Now each sport has its own rules, difficulties, and followings, so comparing players from different games and pitting them against each other is difficult. So as the question goes, I would say Roger deserves respect and can be ranked in the top 5 along with a lot of other players where he would neither lose nor win against others.

4 Likes

Roger is phenomenal. One of GOAT of Tennis.

Making a list of 5 all time great sportsperson will be difficult as we have a long history of many number of sports. Many athletes have reigned supreme in their times. And comparing people from different sports, different times, different geographies will not be fair to be honest.

A few name that come to mind immediately are Martina Navratilova, Federer, Tiger Woods, Muhammad Ali, Don Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Michel Johnson, Jesse Owens, Mark Phelps, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Dhyanchand, Pele, Maradona. All made themselves proud.

1 Like