Interesting World Cup Trivia!

Here we can all share interesting tit bits regarding WC. Here is one from me.

No Kumble
No Ashwin
No Harbhajan
No Jadeja

Yuvraj Singh ~ Only Indian Spinner To Take 5 Wicket Haul In WC (5/31) :astonished:

8 Likes

Even interesting fact, an Indian origin player shaukat dukanwala was the first spinner of Indian origin to take 5 wicket haul during the 1996 World Cup while playing for UAE. He was also an off break bowler

7 Likes

In 2011WC (M.O.M Awards Win By)

Yuvraj - 4
All Other Indians - 3

He Is Only Indian Crickter To Win 4 M.O.M Awards In a WC Series

6 Likes

The World Cup trophy weighs 11 kilograms and has the names of the previous winners inscribed on its base. The height of the WC trophy is 60 cm high. The current trophy was created for the 1999 championship and was the first permanent prize in the tournament’s history.

The trophy is made from silver and gold and features a golden globe held up by three silver columns. The columns, shaped as stumps and bails, represents the three fundamental aspects of cricket: batting, bowling and fielding, while the globe characterizes a cricket ball.

ICC-Cricket-World-Cup-Trophy

5 Likes

Vivian Richards is the only man to have played both World Cup Football and World Cup Cricket. He played football for Antigua and Barbuda in a qualifying round to get into the World Cup of 1974.
He also played for West Indies in Cricket World Cup.

Someone who did actually achieve this unique double is Australian Ellyse Perry, who appeared in the final rounds of both cricket (2009) and football World Cups (2011).

Interesting rapid fire round with Ellyse Perry -

3 Likes

Clive Lloyd and Ricky Ponting are the only captains who have won the world cup twice. Lloyd in 1975 and 1979 and Ponting in 2003 and 2007.

3 Likes

The highest individual score in the world-cups:
1983:-
Kapil Dev’s 175* v/s Zimbabwe

1987:-
Vivian Richards’ 181 v/s Srilanka

1999:-
Sourav Ganguly’s 183 v/s Srilanka**

2015:-
Chris Gayle’s 215 v/s Zimbabwe

2015:-
Martin Guptill’s 237* v/s West Indies

4 Likes

Indian player Chetan Sharma is also known as World Cup hat-trick man for his record in the ICC World Cup. In the World Cup 1987, Sharma took the first hat-trick in the history of tournament when he clean bowled Ken Rutherford, Ian Smith and Ewen Chatfield of New Zealand off consecutive balls.

4 Likes

Namibian Rudie van Vuuren appeared in both the cricket and rugby union World Cups in 2003.

3 Likes

Anderson Cummins is only the second player to represent two different teams in the World Cup (West Indies 1991-92 and Canada 2007). The other is Kepler Wessels who played for Australia in 1983 and for South Africa in 1991-92.

A close call was Graeme Hick, who played for England in 1991-92, 1995-96 and 1999, and was in the Zimbabwe squad for the 1983 World Cup but did not get a game.

3 Likes

White cricket balls and colored team uniforms were first introduced in 1992 World Cup.

This World Cup the ICC has introduced the concept of home and away kits for the first time.

4 Likes

Today In 1999

India Defeated Pakistan In World Cup For 3rd Consecutive Time

Sachin Tendulkar Reached 1000 Runs In World Cup

Fastest to 1000 Runs In World Cup (Innings)

Sachin - 20*
Ab Devilliers - 20
Ganguly - 21
Viv Richards - 21

2 Likes

Ajay Jadeja
Only Indian To Smash Century vs Aus In World Cup

Kapil Dev
Only Indian To Take 5 Wicket Haul vs Aus In World Cup

3 Likes

Interesting Stat! “Whenever India Won 1st Match of World Cup & Also Won against Australia, India Won World Cup”. This Happened In 1983 WC & 2011 WC.

3 Likes

Hmm. This indeed is interesting.

1 Like

Sachin Tendulkar’s dismissal in the 1996 World Cup semifinal triggered a tremendous collapse as India slumped from 98/1 to 120/8. An outrageous crowd then went berserk at the Eden Gardens setting fire in the stands and throwing bottles onto the field. This forced the match officials to stop the match and declare Sri Lanka as winners by default.

This shameful act by few brought the entire country in bad light. People fail to draw a line between passion and fanaticism. On a good day people will put these players on a pedestal as God and on bad days they will burn an effigy of the same players. This extreme culture needs to stop.

I still remember crying Kambli! :sob:

Talking of SL, People seldom discuss Arvind De Silva. Very reliable and consistent batsmen. One of the GOATs. Shouldered Sl batting solely most of his carrier. Very elegant to watch and performer in crunch situations.

Okay. I would love to interrupt here. I first watched arvinda during 2002, i was in class 1st then. Icc champions trophy was on, Australia vs Sri lanka. Arvinda played a huge part and if my memory serves me right, he was man of the match in that game. I became a fan, a huge on. I saw all his old games, a lot of them anyway if not all. He was a great player but was he really a goat? Because if he was a :goat: then i dont know what other real goats are, maybe goat *2

3 Likes

Funny :grinning::grinning::grinning: