Ganguly About MS Dhoni

MS Dhoni has not featured in any limited-overs series India have played since the World Cup, in the West Indies and at home against South Africa. Ganguly has always maintained that Dhoni would need to be clear about the road ahead and communicate that to the team management led by Virat Kohli, the captain, and Ravi Shastri, the head coach, and most importantly the selection panel.

On Wednesday, Ganguly reiterated his stand, saying he would first seek clarity from MSK Prasad’s selection panel. “I need to find out from the selectors when I meet them next. We should find out what the selectors think,” Ganguly told reporters in Kolkata. “It’s not my opinion. I was nowhere in the picture all these days. My first selection committee meeting will be on the 24th.”

He said he might speak to Dhoni if needed. “What he (Dhoni) wants to do, what he doesn’t (want) to do…What matters is what Dhoni wants. Maybe there is clarity between Dhoni and the selectors, but I do not know of it as yet. Neither side has discussed anything with me. They’ll decide on the way forward.”

“Indian cricket will have to get used to the fact that MS Dhoni won’t be playing forever and he won’t be around for too long. But I believe this decision has to be taken by Dhoni himself,” Ganguly concluded.

9 Likes

Dhoni is the only one to decide when to retire but he seems to be finding it hard to make that decision. It’s not uncommon for big celebrity players having difficulty retiring. He probably believes he still got some more game.

5 Likes

Life is a vicious circle. There was a day when dhoni had taken call on dada’s career now it’s Dada’s turn.

5 Likes

No player is bigger than the team. Dhoni is no more able enough to contribute with bat. Let him retire gracefully.

2 Likes

Dada will certainly do what is best for Dhoni. Dada himself, admires and respects Dhoni alot.

ms-dhoni-press-conference-asia-cup-world-t20-win-india-1456058341-800

6 Likes

‘Silence speaks louder than words.’ And I think Dhoni’s silence or lack of reaction to media speculation or anticipation, is a message in itself.

I don’t think Dhoni has asked the Cricket Board to reserve a permanent seat for him in India Team XI, neither has he stopped the cricket board from selecting talented players like Wriddhiman Saha, Rishabh Pant, KL Rahul, Ishan Kishan, Karthik or others in the current series. If these or any talented players can prove their worth in the team through a consistent performance, then I don’t think this undue speculation stands any merit.

Dhoni’s hiatus from playing any series after the World Cup, is the time for Indian cricket team to give opportunities to players. In few months, if none of these players display consistent performance then we still have a fall back in Dhoni.

Well said by Ganguly - No person / player is going to play forever. While Dhoni is taking his time to decide his future, cricket fans and critics can take the same chill pill and see if we can find the next Dhoni, Kohli, Ganguly or Sehwag in new talented players.

4 Likes

Yes everyone is well aware of the fact that these are few last days of MS Dhoni. Dada being the president now will look at the bigger prosepect of Indian cricket and how Dhoni will fit into his plan to take the Indian cricket to the next level and more importantly win trophies. Ganguly himself has been an admirer of how Dhoni has handled the team and maintained a top-class side during his tenure as Captain. Maybe, just maybe I think the T20 World Cup will be his last.

3 Likes