Can Hanuma Vihari be India's solution to middle order crisis in one dayers?

Hanuma vihari is a name well known in the domestic circuit of India. Anyone following the domestic cricket must be aware of his consistent performance over the years. Could he be the solution to the number 4 spot that India is struggling with for over 2 years now? I know many might say that he is a slow scorer and is unfit for the one dayers. Even i thought that but on looking at his statistics in list a tournaments in India, this is what I found

His strike rate is not slow at all. He has scored runs at an average of over 45 with an average in and around 85. Also as he plays in the southern division in Vijay hazare that means something as Tamil nadu, Karnataka all lie in the same region. Also India need a grafter at the top order. Hanuma vihari could be the perfect option. He can provide some balance to the squad and as he is just 25 years old, he still has almost 10 years left in his career. Also as an added advantage he can bowl a few overs also which will add another bowling option for the Indian team. So what do you all think? Can he play in one dayers? If yes then add something if not then why not?
images%20(36)

10 Likes

He is an excellent option. But, Pujara, Rahane, Rayudu can all do same. Pujara’s avg in List A is 54+. It’s a shame he didn’t get much of a chance in ODIs.

But thing is we (BCCI+Fan) are still looking for another Yuvraj. Who can score big and hit big too. Which may not happen soon. Pujara, Rahane, Rayudu, Vihari can score big but can’t hit Big. Pandey hasn’t shown appetite for Big Innings, Iyer too isn’t explosive. Rahul hasn’t been consistent.

One option is to play Rahul, Pujara, Vihari at 3, dropping Kohli to 4 to take more responsibility, Pant at 5.

Another is to give more responsibility to Rohit too and move him to middle order. I would do that. I will use 3 of Shaw, Mayank, Rahul, Rahane, Pandey, Vihari, Pujara, Iyer as Top 3. Kohli, Sharma, Pant as 4,5,6.

Rahane, Pujara & Rohit to go after WC in 2023, Rest with added fresh faces to make new Top 3 pool. Pant move up to 5 and take more responsibility. Fresh talent at 6. Kohli, Mayank go around 24-25, Rahul if surviving comes to 4. New entry in Top 3 pool. And the process go on so and so forth.

I believe new faces should be given time at top and at 6 with license, 4-5 experience players in ODIs. Seniors in Top 3 pool take No 3. What say?

7 Likes

The only problem I have with moving Rohit down the order is that is would be wrong to him. The guy is a different kind of a batsman. He takes time to settle in and then hits big. Also Rohit flopped in the middle order and the changing point of his career was moving him up the order. Also I think it should be a race between Iyer and Hanuma for the number 4. Kohli should not be moved. Pujara and Rahane failed or did not get enough chances in ODI’s because of their inability to rotate the strike. For me the ideal top 7 for the WC 2023 would be:
Shubhman Gill
Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Shreyas Iyer/Hanuma Vihari
Rishabh Pant
Krunal Pandya/Or Some other batting allrounder
Hardik Pandya

3 Likes

This guy has impressed one and all with his skills, temperament and shot making. I think he is good batting all rounder option for team India in test matches. But because of tough competition. It is not easy for selectors to make a squad because lot of talented players are available for this place.

2 Likes

Vihari undoubtedly played an impressive test series against West Indies with 289 runs that included a century and two half centuries.

The captain was all praise for him " The dressing room feels calm when he’s batting out there in the middle." A happy captain means at good odds for selection. :grinning:

4 Likes