Another American Icon Bursts on Tennis Scene

There is a new Tennis star on the Horizon. An american teenager is lighting up women’s Tennis.

Cori “Coco” Gauff, the 15-year-old tennis player who announced her arrival loud and clear at Wimbledon by defeating Venus Williams in her first-round match. She has has now advanced to the round of 16 at Wimbledon. The lanky teenager is the youngest player to advance this far in the tournament since 1991, when another american teenager Jennifer Capriati :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: made the semifinals as a 15-year-old.

3 Likes

Change of guard maybe.

1 Like

No doubt fans are looking for legends like Federer and Nadal in women’s singles for few years now. But I actually like the fact that it is not dominated by few and we get to see new athletes striving for the No. 1 spot.

Cori Gauff’s astonishing win against Venus Williams has caught the world by surprise. She definitely has the potential to be the next big star in women’s tennis and is projected to be the highest paid sportswoman ever. Experts are even tipping her to earn close to £100m a year once she has reached her full potential and to surpass the likes of Serena Williams who remains the only woman in the Forbes list of top-earning athletes. But I think it’s too early to hail her the successor of Serena Williams and start calculating her valuation in sponsorship world.

I think all this media hype and stardom expectations unnecessarily adds pressure and dilutes the focus of these rising stars. It happened the same with Naomi Osaka. Since her Australian Open and US Open win, Noami has been suffering with injuries and battered confidence. She crashed out of French Open in 3rd round and faced an early exit during this Wimbledon. Personally, I love this shy tennis star and she has won the hearts of tennis fans worldwide after her emotional win at US Open. I rooted for her win in the tournaments after US Open and I truly hope to see her regain her confidence back and shine again.

Today’s match against former world No 1 Simona Halep in the fourth round will be crucial for Cori Gauff. It will be interesting to see if she can continue her stunning performance today and later in the tournament.

3 Likes

Cori Gauff lost to veteran and former world No. 1 Simona Halep 3-6, 3-6.

1 Like

She had her run this year. And good run at that. We can expect more from her with age and maturity.